Question for the AS400 Package build pros

cdawes

VIP Member
Wondering if anyone has come across this before..........

Running ERP 8.0/SP23_T1 on a monster iSeries running V5R3. Also have 3 Intel Application Servers.

Packages will not build successfully on the AS/400 but they do build on the Intel and Clients with no issues. I have tried a full package build in all environments on the AS400 and the package build dies, On further investigation I found the following:

1. An AS400 full package build will fail at the point that the build gets to the BOBSPEC file (BSVW's)
2. If I do the full AS400 build but skip the BOBSPEC the build is successful
3. If I do the AS400 build of just the SPEC files that come after the sequence of BOBSPEC then these spec files compile fine
4. If I do a build of just BOBSPEC the build fails

At this point I have checked all of the AS400 logs and can't seem to find anything. The Deployment Server log also does not show anything telling. The server package build log does not have much information either.

The last full package builds about 3 weeks ago ran just fine. Since that time the developers have created tons of BSVW's but these compile fine on Intel - just doesn't appear that way on the AS400.

Anyone have any ideas?

Colin

Hi Colin,

In iSeries the maximum object name length is 10. As Business Views are copied from Deployment Server to iSeries, they get a letter "B" in front of them. For example, the view V0411A is transfered to iSeries as BV0411A. My guess is that one of the developers has created a business view with 10 characters name length and as the Deployment Server tries to transfer it, appends the "B" in the beginning and the length is now 11. This length is not supported by the OS/400, therefore the build fails. Check all your custom business view names and see if at least one of them has length 10 (for example V5509411AB -> 10 chars).

I hope this helps,

Lefteris Koukakis

Yep......found the @&#!@ 11 character function early this morning. Why couldn't they have used a 'M' for a business view header instead of the 'BV' which is 2 characters?

The ESU that was supposed to prevent this actually didn't prevent it.

Thanks,

Colin

Turn Debug on your 400
Create a Server only package under spec portion select Bobspec.
Submit it and see if it will give you more a detail.
Barb Kramarski

In a message dated 4/28/2008 10:13:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

Wondering if anyone has come across this before..........

Running ERP 8.0/SP23_T1 on a monster iSeries running V5R3. Also have 3 Inte l
Application Servers.

Packages will not build successfully on the AS/400 but they do build on the
Intel and Clients with no issues. I have tried a full package build in all
environments on the AS400 and the package build dies, On further investigat ion
I found the following:

1. An AS400 full package build will fail at the point that the build gets t o
the BOBSPEC file (BSVW's)
2. If I do the full AS400 build but skip the BOBSPEC the build is successfu l
3. If I do the AS400 build of just the SPEC files that come after the
sequence of BOBSPEC then these spec files compile fine
4. If I do a build of just BOBSPEC the build fails

At this point I have checked all of the AS400 logs and can't seem to find
anything. The Deployment Server log also does not show anything telling. Th e
server package build log does not have much information either.

The last full package builds about 3 weeks ago ran just fine. Since that
time the developers have created tons of BSVW's but these compile fine on I ntel
- just doesn't appear that way on the AS400.

Anyone have any ideas?

Colin
Colin Dawes, Technology Services Manager, Syntax.net (Ontario, Quebec &
Beyond) B73X to EnterpriseOne 8.12 (ALL DBMS's) iSeries, Intel, VMware "Ther e is
no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in
control. "

Colin,
It happen here a developer created a Business view named V551200001 then a 'B' got appended to the name go look at the Business views names I'll bet you have one with 11 charaters and it will make the build of BOBSPEC bomb if you are building on the I-series
Thank You

Paul Matino

CNC Adminstrator
E1 8.12 & Xe, Iseries V5R4, Tools 8.96.1.2

Back