Package build compiling

boaterdan

This is my first contact with the list. Hello everyone.

Just when I think I finally know how something in OneWorld works, I
get contradicting information. :)

Where does the actual C++ compiling for CLIENT packages take place,
on the deployment server or on the workstation doing the build?

Thanks.

Hi,

The Client compilation of business functions can occur on either a fat client or the deployment server.

Packages may be built:

1. On a fat client equipped with a C compiler

2. On the deployment server while logged into the DEPB733 or DEP7333 (on XE) environments. Not JDEPLAN!!

Regards

Justin Miller
[email protected]

working with B7332 and XE on AS/400, NT, Solaris and AIX

The actual processing during a package build takes place in the memory of the workstation but the compiled information is saved to the package folders on the deployment server. The only time compiled build information is saved on the workstation is when you do a local busbuild or you manually compile a business function in the OMW (Object Management Workbench).

Ray W. Justus
Kitchell Corporation
1707 East Highland Avenue, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85016-4679
(602) 631-6157
mailto: [email protected]

This is my first contact with the list. Hello everyone.

Just when I think I finally know how something in OneWorld works, I
get contradicting information. :)

Where does the actual C++ compiling for CLIENT packages take place,
on the deployment server or on the workstation doing the build?

Thanks.

--------------------------

On the deployment server. There is no need for a client to have C++
installed to run one world.

Hope that helps

Tom Brown

Re: RE: Package build compiling

Let me see if I have this straight... what all of you are saying is essentially the compiling takes place where the package build is submitted...

In other words, if I'm sitting at my fat client and I hit the button to build, the compiling takes place on my workstation. Yes, I understand the resulting objects and .dll's, etc. are going to end up back on the deployment server.

If I to physically log in at the deployment server and hit the build button there, the compiling would take place there.

That's the way I understood it but a consultant was telling me otherwise.

Now, if I always plan on doing the fat client option, is the compiler on the dep server ever really used again? Would it come back into play when I do an upgrade??

Re: RE: Package build compiling

I think you have it.

If you do all your build on the fat client, it would appear that the compiler on the deployment server is never used again. I do not believe that it would be used during upgrades as the upgrade process is run by a series of UBE's that manipulate records in the Central Objects tables.

However ...

JDE specifies a C compiler on the deployment server. It may be that the compiler's MAKE utility is used during certain operations, such as applying ESU's in the planner environment.

Package builds are generally faster on the deployment server as the TAM files are being built using local I/O as opposed to network I/O.

It is a good idea to have a fall back machine in case your fat client goes South

Regards,

Justin Miller
[email protected]

working with B7332 and XE on AS/400, NT, Solaris and AIX

Back