OW FrontEnd using Visual Basic

I think theoritically can as long as you know which business view to use, but what for ?
so far I think the form is OK, the problem is with the print out (report)

Hi all

I need to know how can i connect to JDE database (SQL Server) thru Visual Basic using Oneworld ODA.

Thanks for all
Thaer

Connect the same way that you would to any other ODBC data source.

Note the ODA restrictions though: requires fat client installation and is read only.

Hi Jolly

I tried but it does'nt work too!!! so did u do it before? if yes please tell me how

Thank you in advance

Felipe,

I didn’t quite understand your requirement. When you said connecting to Oneworld what do you mean?

You can perform two things from out side the JDE.

1) You can manipulate the JDE DATA. Using simple ODBC driver can do this. You can configure an ODBC driver and use that Driver for data manipulation. But this will be very critical task. You need to take care of DD Display decimal values. Not recommended by JDE. For displaying the data you can use JDE ODA driver too.

2) You can call the JDE business functions and perform the transactions also. For doing this you need to create COM wrappers. You can find how to create COM wrappers in the JDE documentation. I think you can find good example also.

Hi all
First of all thank you Fillpe, I want to displaying JDE data using ODA Driver, i did it by ODBC but as you said it make some problems with decimal values and Julian dates, so i'm trying to do that thru wizard form in VB.
And what is the software requirment to use ODA driver.

Thank you

The ODA driver seems to cause a few problems. Perhaps you should take a look at jdeDirect (www.jdedirect.com - a sponsor of jdelist). It provides an ODBC interface to OW, and uses the proper OW Data Dictionary for decimal interpretation etc. Of particluar interest: it does not require a fat client installation.

Thaer,

the main software requirement for using ODA is an installed OneWorld client. ODA is dependant on OW client being installed.

Other than that it should work for you.
Have you tried accessing the OW database via ODA from Access or Excel/MSQuery? If those work then its your programming that is at fault.

However I would encourage you to again try using the native ODBC or OLEDB database driver again. To deal with issues such as decimals, dates, and meaningful names just create a database view that:
1) Substitutes meaningful names for JDE aliases
2) Convert's JDE Julian dates to normal dates (search this site for technique)
3) Divides numeric fields by 10^#decimal places to properly place the decimal point.

The advantages of this approach is that it has much better performance than ODA and you have more flexibility in table joins than with ODA.

If on the other hand you are not very familiar with SQL or database programming than perhaps ODA is better for you.

Good Luck,

Back