# of Call Object Kernels

mtrottier

Well Known Member
I am at a client with a Solaris ES with all users using WTS. They are seeing some Call object failed message in log files on the enterprise server.
Example:
KNT0000068 - jdeCallObject failed for ....

I believe they have some incorrect kernal settings in the /etc/system file on the Sun box but I also noticed that they are running what appears to be a high number of Call Object Kernels.

Can those of you who are running a Unix ES with WTS clients tell me how many Call Object Kernels are running on your system.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Mike Trottier
Independent CNC Consultant
Onsite and Dial-up Support
B731,B732,B733,XE
AS400,Unix,NT
Oracle,SQL
#801 557-8368

Mike,

Check your [JDENET_KERNEL_DEF6] parameters in the JDE.INI on your enterprise server. Check to see that the maxNumberOfProcesses is great enough. A good rule of thumb for this setting is 1 kernel for every 5 users (100 Users = 20 Kernels).

Hope this helps.

Dan Richards
Plexus Corp.
Xe, SP16.1, XU3, RS6000, Oracle 8.1.7, Metaframe XPe

If you increase your call Object Kernels, be sure to increase your network kernels (JDENET_N) by a ratio of 4 Call Objects to 1 JDENET. The ini setting is MAX_NET_PROCESSES.

An example might be 96 Users = 16 Object Kernels = 4 JDENET_N kernels.

JD Nowell
OW: B7332
ES: AS400 V4R4 CO: DB2/400 SP: 11.2
Users: 250 TSE Users: 100

Dan,

Thanks for your input but the rule of 1 kernel for 5 users should be adjusted if the majority of the users on a system are using WTS. As you probably know the W environments that are used by WTS users map many more BSFN's to run on the server which result in more call object calls. In addition if Vertex is installed it also greatly increases the number of call object calls.

Most of the jde documentation for recommended JDE.INI and Kernel settings are carryovers from the pre-terminal server releases of oneworld.

What I really need is some feedback from someone who has say 100 WTS clients.

Mike

Mike Trottier
Independent CNC Consultant
Onsite and Dial-up Support
B731,B732,B733,XE
AS400,Unix,NT
Oracle,SQL
#801 557-8368

Mike,

We currently have 100 users on WTS. Our kernel setting is 15. We are running all modules except HR and Payroll.

Dan Richards
Plexus Corp.
Xe, SP16.1, XU3, RS6000, Oracle 8.1.7, Metaframe XPe

Thanks again Dan,

Can you do me a favor and look in your /stand/system file and tell me what you have set for the following kernel parameters:

MSGMAP
MSGMAX
MSGMNB
MSGMNI
MSGSSZ
MSGTQL
MSGSEG
SEMMAP
SEMMNI
SEMMNS
SEMMNU
SEMMSL