ODBC connection from Linux to SQL Server

gerd_renz3

VIP Member
Hi,

I need to access some SQL-Server tables from my Linux/Oracle Enterprise Server as well as from my Linux Web server. I found a libodbc.so DLL in the Linux system/lib folder. Does that mean I can configure an ODBC datasource on Linux? There is a odbc_config program, but I cannot find any documentation about how to use it.

What I need is the syntax to set up an ODBC connection on Linux with odbc_config.

Does anybody know where to find that ?

Thanks, Gerd

Thanks Ken.

Unfortunately it doesn´t help. This link explains how to set up an ORACLE ODBC connection on Linux. We need to connect to Microsoft SQLServer through ODBC in order to read/write external interface tables from UBEs.

Gerd,

You might consider using JDBNET. JDBNET will allow you to bridge platforms by using JDEBASE requests over JDENET. You would need to install a Wintel Enterprise Server to enable it in this case but it could live on the SQL server.

Your requirement would be setup like this: Linux Enterprise <--> JDBNET <--> Intel Enterprise <--> ODBC <--> SQL Server

I have JDBNET operating in production at a number of clients. JDBNET is slower than native DB client access but not that bad. I have one site that is directly processing 50,000 EDI records per day using a UBE fetching over a JDBNET connection. The UBE runs about 20% longer over JDBNET than it does when using a standard connection.

Yes, certainly, JDBNET would do. I was hoping to be able to live without it.

And after installing a Windows based ES I can run my interface-logic and my UBEs on that platform. All this is to run an interface between E900 and a third party system. The data load will be quite moderate.

Thansk, Gerd

I am coming back to this old thread I opened a while ago.

We ended up installing a Windows ES to run our Interface batches between Oracle and SQLServer.
We also have some interactive programs that need to access both Oracle and SQLServer and to our great surprise they Do WORK on the Linux Web Server without any extra configuration. All I did was configure the JDE SQLServer Datasources and point my interface tables to them (OCM).

But how come, why does this work? My OAS Web Server Linux Server is now accessing the SQLServer tables without me messing with any ODBC on the Linux box.

Is it the "java world" that makes this difference? Could anybody enlighten me, please ?

Thanks and a great weekend to all.

Gerd

Yes it is the "Java World". Basically any connections made to the database from the Web Server are JDBC connections , so as long as you have the required SQL Server JDBC drivers , you can access the SQL Server database with no problems , no matter what platform the Web Server is.

However if you had a scenario where an application running on the web was calling a BSFN which did the DB fetch from SQL server , then that function would need to be mapped to run on a Windows ES.

Back