Need Help

Deepu

Hello Forum,
I am new to WorldSoft. I want to extract information from JDE tables to flat files. What are the various ways to do it and where can I find help in this regard.
Regards,
Deepu.

Deepu wrote:
I am new to WorldSoft.
I want to extract information from JDE tables to flat files.
What are the various ways to do it and where can I find
help in this regard.

Based on your question, it sounds to me that you're new to more than just
World Software, Deepu. If you're talking about downloading files to a PC,
here are some ways:

1) Use iSeries Access or other ODBC driver to download the iSeries JDE file
to PC (various formats, including CSV, Text, etc.).

2) Use iSeries Access add-in for Microsoft Excel to extract data from
iSeries JDE file into Excel sheet & save to PC (has a limit on number of
rows).

3) Use FTP to download JDE files from iSeries JDE file to PC (can't handle
packed decimal fields).

4) Use iSeries command CPYTOIMPF to copy the iSeries JDE file to a delimited
or fixed-format file in a folder in the IFS, then map a drive from the PC to
the IFS folder and copy the data to the PC using Windows Explorer.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935

Steve Landess
V4R4 A7.3 cume9
EDI
(512) 423-0935

Do you want to take the information into some sort of database program or are you just looking to take fastr reports to an excel sheet??

One of the simple ways t o get JDE table infor to a flat file is to use the AS/400 CA file transfer. If you use CA, and have excel, the file transfer should be under the DATA selection in the excel menu. The tool used SQL, so you can select subsets of a file, and can even execute joins if you switch to native SQL and write it yourself. Also/or, using IBM native interactive SQL on the AS/400 (STRSQL) you can f13 to select save to file, and save the result of an interactive SQL query to a (effectively( flat file. You could then use that file on the AS/400 or transfer it to a PC. Or you could write programs, but the two methods I describe don't require any knowledge of programming environments and the excel solution no programming at all if you extract from a single file. AND, before I forget, you could save a WW output to file too, then download or whatever. Note. For FASTR output it is much les sstraightforward, FASTR's at best create print files which need to be parsed by excel before they are 'data'.

Back