Moving Central Objects to iSeries/AS400

MagarG

MagarG

VIP Member
We are starting the initial planning stages to move to 8.10/8.11 and one of the proposed ideas was to move Central Objects from our DS (Win2000) to our iSeries I5 Model 520 (1 Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB Disk).

Anyone have a similar iSeries and can shed some light on package build times, Pros/Cons, performance?

Thanks, Grant

I would certainly recommend moving your CO to the Enterprise Server. Always nice to get as much off your Deployment Server as you can.

As for package build times, the power5 Chip is much, much faster than any current intel chip - no question about that. Aside from that, your swapping build times. The client part of the package build will have to grab from the ES, instead of building with COs locally. But the Enterprise Side will now benefit from them being built locally instead of grabbing from the DS. As long as you have a good network connection between the two, it will be about 6's.

I think the biggest perk is off-loading one more production piece from the Deployment Server. Now if you can get Media Objects moved to the IFS, your DS will be used for Licenses, New Installs and Package Builds - these are not as critical as Central Objects and Media Objects.

Just my two bits though,

Kristian

Grant,

first of all, package builds will definitely take longer on 8.9x than on previous releases on the same plateform and hardware. It's a simple matter of fact that there is now a lot more objects to compile. Moving your Central Objects to the AS/400 will increase your client build times by possibly a couple of hours depending on your iSeries settings and network configuration. Contrary to Kristian's statements, the location of your Central Objects has no effect whatsoever on your enterprise server build times. The deployment server fetchs RDB specifications from the C.O. and converts them to TAM files. It then compresses the TAM files to PAK files that get transfered to the enterprise server via jdenet which in turn decompresses the PAK files back to TAM and kicks off the business function build.... a really short and simple package build anatomy!... ;-) try repeating that sentence five times in a row! In brief, package build performance will decrease unless you are planning to purchase new hardware or possibly upgrade what's in place.

Pro: Having all your eggs in the same basket.
One database expertise/plateform to maintain.

Con: Increase in package build times.

P.S. This subject has come up many, many, many times in the past. Try searching the forum for more pros/cons/platform wars, flammes!,

Back