media obj HTMLUpload cleanup

OJDE

I have set-up FTP and all the bells and wistles to make media objects work with non-windows JAS servers and 8.11SP1/8.95 on the web... I even managed to use a Unix FTP server, instead of the IIS/deployment server JDE is preaching for.

As it is mentioned in several other posts, for some type of attachments, the paths of MO queue 'HTMLUpload' (as defined in P98MOQUE) is being used.

Everything works reasonably well, including the OLE queues, adding and deleting media objects.

But, I noticed that if you add a MO of type "file" with "add local file" to a record in P0911 for example, and then later delete it (save and close), the file stays in the HTMLUpload directory of your FTP server. The record of the file attachment is gone, but the file is not deleted.

I looked at FTP logs and unlike the OLEQUE and other queues, there isn't even an attempt to delete anything from HTMLUpload. Since the files are also cached on the JAS server, is some cleanup supposed to happen on the JAS shutdown/startup? Or am I missing something?

Is this normal? Please help if you know the answer. Am I supposed to clean this folder periodically and check for orphan files?

We are a new install and I can only imagine what will happen to this folder when users start using it in production. Thanks!

Can you give us your sysetm config. I'm assuming that you're on a Unix JAS Server. What server are you using for the media objects?

What are you putting in the HTMLUpload MO queue? I personally can't remember using this queue but one thing to check in the P98MOQUE are the UDC's associated with the queue. These UDC's control the functio of the queue. Perhaps if you change the UDC to match one of the other queues then it might delete.

Can you also post the [OWWEB] section from your JAS.INI........just need to see what the media objects are pointing too.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

This is the jas.ini part. I did not make it up. It is in a JDE document.

UseMOWinNTShare=FALSE
FtpPort=21
FtpUsr=username (to the ftp server)
FtpPwd=password

The UDC for HTMLUpload is 05 - HTML File Upload Queue.

This should be different than OLE queues, which do not preserve the original file, when attached (different button on the Media Object applications) but create a .stg or some stream/MIME thing...

It is a really weird way this works, according to JDE. It is to accomodate all non-Windows (AS400 and Unix) JAS servers. In P98MOQUE, you put the locations of all queues as a Windows UNC shares, forward slashes and all.
for example: \\server.domain.com\MOQUEUE\HTMLUpload

But the UseMOWinNTShare=FALSE makes JAS to FTP to to server.domain.com (and it does!), then issue cd, get and put commands to /MOQUEUE/HTMLUpload/, by caching it first to another (local) jas server folder, defined by:

MO QUEUE=webclient.war/moqueue (this is a relative path from your JAS application directory)

For example, if you attach a media object of type file (local file) and you choose a .jpg picture

JAS says to the FTP server
Client "10.0.xx.xx", "STOR /MOQUEUE/HTMLUpload/FILE-10-0-32-30-809342736772738-1139092059062.jpg"

The file is preserved, just renamed to the long reference.

My probem is that it is never deleted, even when users delete the attachment. How do your "file" (attach local file) type media objects work from the NT JAS servers. Are they deleted after the user deletes the attachment from the grid record?

Thanks again.

Voila: SAR 7918720 HTMLUpload Orphaned files

Apparently it is not FTP specific but would probably affect Windows JAS users too...

Back