Level break aggregation

Bob B

I want to set some fields equal to a file value in a detail section that has level break footers. I have variables in the footers that are aggregations (totals) of the fields in the detail section the level breaks belong to.

I don't want the detail data to print, so after setting all my detail values I have a Suppress Section Write function as the last line of code in the detail section.

It seems that when the detail section is suppressed, none of the automatic totalling happens. If I comment out the Suppress Section Write, totalling seems to happen correctly. Is this how it works? Do I need to manually increment my total buckets if I want to suppress the detail?

+1 to that, or

You could just have a global variable in your Level Break section that is global.

That way, in the DO section (which is hidden), then:

LVL BK variable = LVL BK variable + DO Variable

Then in the LVL BK, after section has printed, set it back to 0

If you just want Grand Totals, make you Report Footer Variables Global and add them in the main do section.

Footer_V1 = Footer_V1 + BC_V1

There is a tendency to place the accruals under a location where they have already been accrued (like in a level break). However, the next developer that has to touch the code - should not have to go looking for where the accrual takes place.

Open to alternate supervision.

(db)

Back