JDE Tables

ejf28

Greetings, I am new to this forum so I appologize if I am in the wrong section or doing anything wrong but I work for a company who uses J D World to store all of our data. I recently taught myself sql in order to gather data into excel and do calculations.

Anyways, my problem is that I am trying to sort through many tables in order to get data I want and there are somewhere around 17,000 tables or so, therefore I want to know if I am able to navigate to a certain window within JDE and list the table that I am currently accessing since I can navigate to where I want within JDE without a problem?

I hope this makes sense as to what I am looking for, but if not please ask and I will try and elaborate.

Perhaps you do need to elaborate, but if I understand correctly, you want to list the fields within each table? You can do this by entering 40 on a command line. In the window that pops up you can enter nthe table name (and library the library is not in your library list), and the field names, type and length will be displayed.

There is also a data model that would be available from the Oracle Metalink web site, if you have paid up maintenance for JDE. That will not give you every field and table, but does show the key tables and relationships.

Marc - do you have a Metalink document number for the data model? Couldn't seem to find it by searching on the support site.

I think my explination must have been a little bit off but here is an example. If I goto the supply/demand screen (14 then 4 for my case), I can enter a part number and it gives me a bunch of data such. Would there be a way from JDE at this point to tell me which table (name) this data was just pulled from? Hopefully this makes it a bit more clear.

[ QUOTE ]
I think my explination must have been a little bit off but here is an example. If I goto the supply/demand screen (14 then 4 for my case), I can enter a part number and it gives me a bunch of data such. Would there be a way from JDE at this point to tell me which table (name) this data was just pulled from? Hopefully this makes it a bit more clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that you are working with World software (since this is, after all, the World mailing list...)

For your information, JDE RPG program names (at least the ones run from menus or the DW Versions List) usually begin with the letter P...

Alternative 1:

If you have command line access within the JDE environment, from the JDE menu where the Supply/Demand inquiry is run type option # 25 to see the name of the program being run (Jxxxxx). If the name begins with 'J', Replace the J with a P to get the RPG program name (Pxxxxx), then use the command DSPPGMREF Pxxxxx to see a list of the programs and files referenced by the program Pxxxxx.

Alternative 2:

Use #3 on the G94 menu to inquire on the JDE menu in question and find the name of the program ("Job to Execute" - Jxxxxx). If it begins with 'J', replace the J with P to get the name of the RPG program being executed by the menu option. (The Option Key/Dream Writer Program ID is typically also the same as the program name. )

Now type the command DSPPGMREF PGMNAME (where PGMNAME is the name determined above) to see a list of the programs and files referenced by the program.

Alternative 3:

While running the supply/demand program, you can:

1) use the system request function of the emulator,

2) select option 3 (Display Current Job), which presents this screen:

------------------------------------------------------
Display Job

System: USFTW406

Job: MYJOB User: MYUSER Number: 830505

Select one of the following:

1. Display job status attributes
2. Display job definition attributes
3. Display job run attributes, if active
4. Display spooled files
10. Display job log, if active, on job queue, or pending
11. Display call stack, if active
12. Display locks, if active
13. Display library list, if active
14. Display open files, if active
15. Display file overrides, if active
16. Display commitment control status, if active

Selection

--
F3=Exit F12=Cancel

-----------------------------------------------------

From this menu, select option number 14 (Display Open Files) to see a list files that are open in the job, and you should see the files being used by the Supply/Demand inquiry program.

(Option 11(Display Call Stack) will show the program call stack, where you can find the name of the JDE program being called - it will be near the bottom of the list of programs shown on the 'Display Call Stack' panel.)

Regards,

Thank you for your detailed post.

"If you have command line access within the JDE environment.."
-I don't think I do. If I did where would I go?

"Use #3 on the G94 menu to inquire on the JDE menu in question and find the name of the program ("Job to Execute" - Jxxxxx). "
-Where is the G94 menu?

"use the system request function of the emulator.."
-I am unsure where this is

I apologize for not knowing much about JDE and appreciate your patience and assistance.

I apologize for not knowing that much about JDE but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

can you use the command strpdm? if you can a list of objects in the data library might help the descriptions are pretty good(option 2)

ejf28,

Using Steve Landess' instructions to get the program name, somebody with Software Versions Repository access can inquire on that Pxxxxx program name. Command Key 23 can then be used to display and/or print the flow chart that lists the files used.

Debi

I don't see how to load the "JDE library." I guess I must not have Repository access.

JWhitlock,
With Power View turned on, the first match I got when searching for "data model" was JD Edwards World A7.3 Data Models [ID 704171.1], which linked to a73EACM.pdf.
Debi

If the cross reference file was built, the Object Cross Ref. Repository could be used to list files used by a specific program. Good luck.

Back