How has Oracle been doing ?

Mumha

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes !

How good has Oracle been for JD Edwards ? Or not ? I live in Ireland but normally work in the UK and mainland Europe, and I think there seems to be a bit more work that previously (maybe that is because a lot of people have left the contracting game).

What is most unfortunate, is the loss of so many pharmaceutical companies to SAP, which happened while all the Peoplesoft/Oracle doubt was going on. I met a SAP guy on a flight recently and he was saying that all of the project he has been involved with recently were Legacy JDE sites.

This rot needs to be stopped. The JDE sales guys were frankly useless but hopefully the Oracle guys are better.

Curious - the moves from JDE to SAP, are they due to; Growth (jde not being able to handle the size/bandwidth), concerns over Oracle, 2MarrowGone or some other reason.

Each time someone comes across a migration from JDE/E1/World... post to this thread and tell why... inquiring mind wants to know

(db)

You know what, its not that concerning. In the past 11 years I've been involved with JDE, I've seen migrations from EnterpriseOne to SAP and from SAP to EnterpriseOne. Some companies are fickle, and tend to blame a bad implementation over the state of the software company. At the end of the day, if they've managed to screw up one implementation of a software package - they'll be likely to do it all over again when they implement the next software package !

Another theory I have is that LARGE corporations - really big ones - are the bread and butter of SAP. These larger corporations are, of course, responsible for acquiring smaller corporations - and when that happens, naturally they force their IT policies and procedures onto the smaller company - hence its likely that you'll see acquired corporations throwing out OneWorld and implementing SAP.

On the other hand, companies that get spun off might not be able to afford the costs of implementing SAP - so you might see THESE companies opt for Oneworld since its a better fit for them.

This is the cyclical way that the industry works. Because there are not many ERP solutions out there (real ERP solutions I mean) - then companies that fit under certain categories find that one solution or another is a better fit at a specific time. Remember all the homebuilders purchasing Oneworld just after ERP 8.0 came out ? Same principle !

I think Oracle has been VERY good for EnterpriseOne and JDE World in general. You have a VERY large sales force with a major name behind it, and although JDE is a little bit like a remora to the Oracle big-white shark, it'll certainly thrive off the scraps for the time being !

Back