Graphical view of WebSphere memory usage

markdcci

markdcci

Owner - Rockford Consulting LLC
Hello All,

I realize many of you are on OAS at this point, but we are still running WebSphere (6.1 on Windows 2003 with AS400 Enterprise server).

Several WebSphere versions ago there was a way to graphically view JVM memory consumption and garbage collection. Since around WebSphere 5.0, when the WAS console went web-based, I have not been able to find that capability anymore. Does anyone know if such a capability still exists? I have looked on IBM's site but it is not obvious to me. As our go-live is imminent I wanted another way to monitor performance.

Thanks.

E1 - 9.0, TR 8.98.2.3
AS400 Enterprise Server - 6.1
WebSphere 6.1 running on Windows 2003

Many people are on OAS.

Many people are on WAS.

Very few are on WLS.

OAS is a dead dog (arf, arf!).

WLS is the future of Redstack (looks swet and it's kinda like WAS)

WAS is still the same as always.

The info you're looking for is here:

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/pmat

[ QUOTE ]
Hello All,

I realize many of you are on OAS at this point, but we are still running WebSphere (6.1 on Windows 2003 with AS400 Enterprise server).

Several WebSphere versions ago there was a way to graphically view JVM memory consumption and garbage collection. Since around WebSphere 5.0, when the WAS console went web-based, I have not been able to find that capability anymore. Does anyone know if such a capability still exists? I have looked on IBM's site but it is not obvious to me. As our go-live is imminent I wanted another way to monitor performance.

Thanks.

E1 - 9.0, TR 8.98.2.3
AS400 Enterprise Server - 6.1
WebSphere 6.1 running on Windows 2003

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Integrated Solutions Console (WAS Console) go to Monitoring and Tuning.

Enable performance monitoring for each instance in the Performance Monitoring Infrastructure (PMI) section.

Go to the Performance Viewer section and select the instance you wish to monitor (and for which you enabled monitoring above). Select Current Activity. Expand Settings to change the settings. Expand Performance Modules and checkmark JVM Runtime. An active system should show a sawtooth pattern for heap size/used memory as GC occurs.

You used to have to put -XrunpmiJvmpiProfiler in the command line arguments but I don't think that is the case anymore with 6.1. See if you get results without it first. I don't think you will get GC stats without it but you should get JVM memory stats.

See http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.express.doc/info/exp/ae/rprf_datacounter4.html

and

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v5r1//index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/rprf_javamemory.html

Have fun, WAS performance monitoring leaves a bit to be desired but if you can observe the JVM's and the GC profile you can really get these things dialed in.

Thanks, guys. For whatever reason none of our instances show up under Tivoli Performance Viewer - only server1 shows up and it doesn't seem to include any info from the HTML instances. They are available to be enabled for monitoring under the Performance Monitoring Infrastructure (PMI) option, but not underneath in Performance Viewer. I opened a call with Oracle but haven't heard back yet.

And sometimes (just sometimes, mind you) I feel like I'm one of the few left on WebSphere. Especially after I open up one of these types of calls with Oracle.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, guys. For whatever reason none of our instances show up under Tivoli Performance Viewer - only server1 shows up and it doesn't seem to include any info from the HTML instances. They are available to be enabled for monitoring under the Performance Monitoring Infrastructure (PMI) option, but not underneath in Performance Viewer. I opened a call with Oracle but haven't heard back yet.

And sometimes (just sometimes, mind you) I feel like I'm one of the few left on WebSphere. Especially after I open up one of these types of calls with Oracle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to even ask this but did you restart the application servers (lowercase) in ICS after enabling PMI?

Just to close the loop on this one:

After several weeks of going back and forth with Oracle and IBM, the conclusion by Oracle Support was that Tivoli Performance Viewer was not certified by Oracle's Product Strategy team and therefore, is not supported. Oracle recommended I go find a third party product.

Oracle Support does have documents on how to configure Tivoli, but they appear to be for older tools releases and will not apparantly work for newer tools releases.

I suggest reviewing the WebSphere manual - the real time grapical view in WebSphere is still available. I've set this up on the most recent versions of WebSphere.

However I'm not sure what the objective is here - you can get the memory usage from Server Manager. The other JVM properties are the ones that require Tivoli Performance Viewer - things like the thread count.

Also the memory is better seen after the fact using PMAT (see my earlier post on this thread).

Colin

Back