Field validation in data selection

lisachew

Hello

Refering to the attachment below. It shows that when user key in the branch that is not in the system the data selection will automatically highlight it in red in the box. But seems that for the 2nd Item Number, when the user key in any item number which is not in the system, it will not prompt any error or highlights the box in red. It will run the report and prints out the page either stated there no data was selected or no value at all.

My question is that, is there any default thingy in the JDE for data selection to recognize whether the item key in by user is valid or not? And how can I do it? I need the data selection for the 2nd Item Number to valid the data like the branch as like the attachment shown below.

Please advice.

Thanks

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
Intel NT4-service pack 6A
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

lisa

nope, nada, zip, kaput.

no system can be user foolproof.
why not educate your users to use at least 1% of their
brain capacity. otherwise, think of this as JDE's way
of giving you job security.

there are other more important flaws with jde ubes and
data selection. consider rows and data excluded from
your report if you have BU security or other kinds or
security turned on.

you get a report and you won;t know some of the data
was excluded. big bummer when you combine that with a
secretary running a report that is restricted by
security for a CEO who expects complete data.

bummer huh...

--- lisachew <[email protected]> wrote:
http://www.jdelist.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Number=29105

Hi Lisa,

This validation is invoked by the Edit rule specified on the data dictionary items (ie Business unit, MCU has a rule of "IsColumnInBusinessUnitTable"). I guess this does a fetch on the F0006 and returns an error if it's unsucessful. The edit rule on the 2nd item, LITM, is "Get2ndItemDescription", I haven't looked at the code but guess this won't return an error. You could amend the edit rule pgm, but it's unadvisable. I can't see the attachment you refer to but if the program is only for a small number of items use could use processing options then carry out validation within the UBE. If you needed to know before the UBE is submitted you may consider designing a form that validates the data before calling the UBE and passing the item nos in. Not wonderful solutions, and they would place some restrictions on the maximum number of items allowed but they should work.

Regards

Neil.

OW B733.3 (XE), SP 16
AS/400, OS V5.1

Lisa,

Neil is right. The processing option fields can do as much validation as much you can define for a Data Item in the Data Dictionary.
If you do not want to touch the original LITM data item then create a custom copy of it, apply it with the requiered validations, visual assist, etc., and use this custom one on your PO template.

If a task requires a complex validation on PO values then the best way is that Neil suggested, creating a front interactive form for the options, performing the validation in the Event Rules, calling the UBE via Report Interconnect and passing the values through the Report Interconnect data structure of the UBE.

Regards,

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Neil,

Thanks for your information.

This program is for a big number of items, so this means that I really do need to modify the BSFN itself.

I have gone true the C codes and I found that I am totally lost with it. I am not sure what to do next. As the codes are a little bit confusing and also I am not sure specifically on which part should it be modify.

Please guide me to a brighter way.

Thanks again in advance.

BEst Regards

Best regards;
Lisa
OneWorld XE B733.3
SP 13
Intel NT4-service pack 6A
SQL 7
Service Pack 2

Hi Lisa,

Modifying this would be messy and I'd definately look for and easier way to get the integrity you need. If you needed to then you'd need to add an error flag to the data structure and modify the business function to carry out a lookup on the F4101 and return an error if unsucessful.

The other way would be for a data sheet type entry which carries out the validation, highlights errors, then passes the litm to the UBE. This might work best by the appl writing to a work file. The UBE could then be called via a submission button on the appl. Then UBE would then read the work file and use a set user selection for all the items nos. This seems like a fair bit of work and as one of the other replies points out no system can be foolproof so I do wonder if this much protection is really worthwhile.

Have fun

Neil.

OW B733.3 (XE), SP 16
AS/400, OS V5.1

Back