Display a (String,2000) field on screen

newjdedev1

We are on E1 9.0 on Oracle database.

One of our custom tables has a column string,2000. I need to show this on a multiline edit control on a form. When I try to select this column in my business view, it throws message that a blob field can not be added to a BV.

What's confusing me is that the data type is string(not a blob). A "desc table" on SQL+ shows the data type as nvarchar2. Then why this message?

To come back to the original objective, I added a DD field on the form using same data item and tried to do table i/o to bring the text. But I can not get the text on the screen. I feel this strange because, I can see the text in this column using UTB like a normal string field and not like TXFT in F00165.

Is there any better way (or a standard way that I don't know of) to achieve what I want to? Any advise is highly appreciated.

I ran across something similar and ended doing some trial and error and found that the largest string data type allowed that doesn't produce that 'blob' error is 1999. See this Thread

Interesting because I just yesterday tried to change to custom variables (TWO strings) in a custom table from 1000 long to 2000 long and when generating the table - received a failure due to the table record being too long. Instead, I changed the table to only include ONE of the strings and was able to increase the size to 3000 (didn't try further). Generating the table no longer invoked the error.

I then created a text box and associated it with the business view field and was able to create an XML message reader (of sorts) where I could use 'Previous' and 'Next' commands to traverse the XML messages. All very readable.

Not sure about the DB, but this was on DV900 Tools:8.98.41

Ben again,

It is interesting to note that 1 - I created the table and bsvw BEFORE increasing the size, and 2 - I didn't do anything to the bsvw other than check out, design and check in, so I didn't add the field so that it would validate it.....

Ben again,

Ben,

If I understand this correctly, you already had this column in BSVW and then you changed the data item length from DD and then generated the table?

If this is working, it's really interesting. I am going to try this first thing on Monday.

You are exactly correct.

If I find the time, I will try to create your scenario and create a new bsvw with the larger DD item being added to it and watch what happens.

Ben again,

Thanks Jeremy and Ben for the inputs.

I replaced the field with (string,1999) and the problem is solved. I see the text on screen.

What's the way to display a blob column on screen? Only media object?

Thanks Peter for pointing me to the threads!! This is really helpful.

Back