Changing Fiscal Date Pattern

Sef

Sef

VIP Member
Hi forum

This happens to be my 500th mail to the JDE list and also is one my most critical.
One of my clients has recently changed ownership and now wishes to change fiscal date patterns (Calendar year to a Jul to Jun fiscal year). This means we have 15 days to accomplish this!!
I am aware of the different knowledge garden documents, but would like to get some feedback from people who have actually gone through the process.
Did you change patterns of the existing companies and re-state previous years or did you set up a new company and leave the old data untouched? Did you try and achieve all the issues by using the vanilla software or did you make changes through SQL? What was the timing of your actions? What pitfalls did you encounter?

I could post a million questions, but I would really like to get some feedback from somebody who has been at the coalface and all comments in this regard are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

We did it also. Before we have Oct - Sept fiscal paatern, now we change it to Jan-Dec calendar year.

We did it on June, so we closed (did short period close) and create the beg. balance from the close

LSH

Sef <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi forumThis happens to be my 500th mail to the JDE list and also is one my most critical.One of my clients has recently changed ownership and now wishes to change fiscal date patterns (Calendar year to a Jul to Jun fiscal year). This means we have 15 days to accomplish this!!I am aware of the different knowledge garden documents, but would like to get some feedback from people who have actually gone through the process.Did you change patterns of the existing companies and re-state previous years or did you set up a new company and leave the old data untouched? Did you try and achieve all the issues by using the vanilla software or did you make changes through SQL? What was the timing of your actions? What pitfalls did you encounter? I could post a million questions, but I would really like to get some feedback from somebody who has been at the coalface and all comments in this regard are greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance for your input.
Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
E81 on NT/SQL, XE on NT/Oracle
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to: http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Apps&Number=73919

This is the JDELIST Applications Mailing List. To stop receiving these messages, login to http://www.jdelist.com/forums, click Control Panel, then click Edit by "Subscribe / Unsubscribe from receiving board posts by email, change message notifications, etc." and adjust your subscription preferences. JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.

Sef,

I have some information for you from our accountants that I hope may help:

>>One of my clients has recently changed ownership and now wishes to change fiscal date patterns (Calendar year to a Jul to Jun fiscal year). This means we have 15 days to accomplish this!!

[Accountant] Not really, we purposely let a couple of months go by before making the change. JDE works off of G/L dates, so it really doesn't matter when you perform the date change.

>>Did you change patterns of the existing companies and re-state previous years

[Accountant] We set up a new fiscal date pattern "X". The date pattern has to go back far enough to capture the 1st fixed asset purchase date. We changed all companies to this new pattern. This automatically restates all prior activity to the new fiscal date pattern. We did this rather than setting up a new company because we wanted the date change to be seamless (same companies, access to all transactions in the same manner as before, functional personnel not even knowing it happened, etc.

>>Did you try and achieve all the issues by using the vanilla software

[Accountant] We used no additional software.

>> or did you make changes through SQL

[Accountant] Yes, some SQL changes were necessary.

>> What was the timing of your actions

[Accountant] We performed these actions 2.5 months after the year end (i.e. retroactive change).

>>What pitfalls did you encounter

[Accountant] None really. Be cautious with fixed assets. We consulted with Norb Balon from SMI throughout the process. I would recommend him, if for nothing else than peace of mind. I also recommend setting up another "mothball" environment of how the system used to be for any historical reference of old fiscal date patterns. We haven't used it, but just in case, it's there.

In addition to the answers above, the accountant forwarded me an Excel workbook they used as a planning document. If you would like a copy of it, just send me a PM. Hope this helps-

--Shelley

Back