Breaking

leggleston

leggleston

Is it possible to create a level break on a variable that's fetched in the detail, but not part of the business view? I cannot sort on this field, but need to count the number of records each time it changes.

Yes you can, however you must do that in the event rules and manually count and check for the level break.

That's good to know. How would I go about doing that? My variable is an alpha numeric. Thank you very much for your help.

Hi Lee

Depending on the complexity, frequency and availability of the 'break' field there are three other alternatives:
1) Change the Business view to include the field
2) Write the data to a temporary table and create your output based on this table which you can sort now.
3) Use a third party application eg Cognos

Rgds,

I believe there is another way, although I would test it extensively before letting it out to the user.

I found that reassigning a BC value would trigger the level break for that value, so one time I included a level break on a value that I knew never changed (and I didn't use it in reporting) and I monitored the looked-up field so when it changed I would assign a value to the BC value which would trigger the level break. If you do try this method, remember to test this thouroughly!

Ben again

I must agree with Sef's idea to either add to BSVW or use a temp workfile. Since that fetched field is not in your sort, you have the potential of that field changing with every fetch. Maybe that's OK for your application, but with that 'change' potential on every fetch, I would think the report could be misleading. For example:

BV1 BV2 Fetched field
----- ----- ----------------
1 A John
1 B Jim
1 C John
1 D Jim

On your report, you would have multiple instances of each fetched field with each having a separate count. 'John' would be listed twice, each with a count of 1. Same goes for 'Jim'.

Just something to think about...like I said, maybe that's ok in your app.

Thanks for your input. See, each order number has a fetched exempt code, but only one per order. There is a range of 20 or so codes that any particular order could have. The reason I don't think I can put it in my business view is because it's a Union of F4201 and F42019.

I'm still struggling a bit on this end, but I'm making some progress thanks to your help. JD Edwards has passed the problem on to a Senior RDA Developer. :)

Re: RE: Breaking

Hi Ben,

I know, your method really works.
Yes, it is tricky a bit but works perfectly.

You can use the BC value which will replaced to trigger a break on other values, just save it into a variable before you override it.

An important notice to this method:
You have to replace the BC value in the Before Levele Break event.

You can also use this or similar trick to control easily level break levels to occur or not at run time e.g. based on Processing Option settings. This happens in the R04570 Create Payment Control Groups batch application.

Regards,

Zoltán

Re: RE: Breaking

Hi Zoltán & Ben

Granted that there are other tricks to force a level break, even though I would personally just call a custom section under these circumstances.
I guess where I was comming from is sorting rather than level breaking. Generally a level break is used just once when ALL records of a certain property are read, not when a fetched or calculated value changes. Neverthless handy to remember your tips.

Rgds,

Back
Top Bottom