BQTY in F3002

annieef

All,

The Batch Quantity in the F3002 is *supposed* to represent the quantity the BOM would produce. It is my experience with this functionality that I could increase or decrease the batch quantity to represent a "scenario" which would then be played out by increase or decreasing the variable components attached.
We recently went over a conversion program (by JDE) that shows the batch quantity being set to 0. I'm not aware that it should ever be set to zero, but should default to 1. The DD doesn't show a default.

Ideas?

If you have any doubts about this there is always a good way of checking: go to your pristine system and look at the JDE Demo Data. Use UTB to look in F3002.

The answer is that zero is valid in the F3002 BQTY. This is the default Batch size for any Quantity. If you entered a "1" this would only be valid for a Batch size of one. The rest of the system would ignore it if you tried to make or cost, say, "3". I don't think it will multiply the "1" batch by three. It just doesn't work that way.

Annie,

The batch quantity is intended to ensure that a WO quantity conforms to specific production facility constraints, typically something like a mixing vessel size. Most manufacturers have no need for batch quantities, instead using Order Policy Code and and item quantities such as minimum and multiple on the Item Branch record to control the WO quantity. In these instances, the batch quantity is simply omitted - an implied zero.
When using batch bills, the Manufacturing Accounting Cost Quantity normally is set to equal one of the defined batch sizes for the item, and this is the bill that will be used in the cost rollup. However, if the Manufacturing Accounting Cost Quantity does not equal one of the batch quantities, the product cost is calculated using the zero batch bill.

Hope this helps.

Here is what happen to my client when they did the data conversion on F3002 but take batch size "1" instead of batch size "0":
1. It can be disaster for MRP since there can be thousands of messages to produce the WO with quantity one.
2. If you try to review the parts availability (P30200), you will never get the extended function since the system only knows batch size "1"
So, my suggestion is to keep the batch size "0" what ever and add more batch size if you really need them.
Regards,
John Hsiao, Xe ERP8, SP21

I am not sure the comment about being a disaster for MRP is true? MRP doesn't use Batch Quantity in the BoM or Route. It is only concerned with the Order Modifiers as Tim described in his excellent post on this matter. Have you tested this? I would be very surprised if R3482/R3483 behaved this way. Well, it would be new to me.

However, you are right in all other respects!

Back