BIP - Business Inteligence Publisher Output Search Tool

cnc__guy

cnc__guy

Well Known Member
I am looking for information that anyone may have on the best tool used to search the content of BIP output.

We are using the archive feature for Embeded BIP within EnterpriseOne and once the output is created and stored in the archive folder we want to be able to search the contents of the images/files to look up invoice numbers, customer numbers, vendor numbers, etc.

We have tried several tools but the one we have had the most success with (not surprisingly) is Adobe Reader itself. We have tried others, WDS (Windows Desktop Search) and FileSeek to name a couple but they do not find all occurances of given info in all the files. It appears as though the Adobe Reader search finds every occurance, in every document every time.

We have also considered having all output routed to a single Exchange mailbox that will be accessible and searchable by all pertinent users but this will occupy a lot of extra space on the Exchange Server.

Has anyone had any success finding a search tool besides the one inside Adobe Reader that may be faster than Adobe Reader and still find all occurances of a search parameter 100% of the time?

Thanks in advance.
James Wilson

We use Agent Ransack instead of Windows search, and have found several times that Ransack found things that Windows search missed.

Hi James,
you need an OCR tool.

Form Scape, now Transform, can do this.

You can use OmniPage API too (never done this) or some JAVA free lib to scan the PDF.

I'm interested too in this case, so let me know...

Regards

Bruno Condemi

James,

Aren't the documents archived as .PDF's? If so - you don't need OCM (rescan and convert to text) - you do need a search appliance.

Have you tried the Google 'Local Search'? Google, also, has a purchasable 'local network' server you can plant on your local network/enterprise.

http://www.google.com/enterprise/search/gsa.html

I'm not affiliated with Google, but wish I were!

(db)

Excellent Suggestion by Daniel.

We purchased and implemented the Google Mini Search appliance years ago for a non-JDE use - but it would work very well for the described purpose. The only thing is for searches on numbers (customer number, etc) you could get false hits on numbers embedded in other numbers.

The mini is licensed based on max # of searchable documents:
50,000 = $3,000
300,000 = $10,000

Google Search Appliances are just an example of whats out there. With programming, a Search Appliance can also search and index ERP databases . . .

Back