Attachment

rcandeo

Well Known Member
I need to put some information in the Item Master table. As I don´t have any field available, I intend to put this information in the attachment. Someone can help me finding a BSFN or other way to write this information?
Thank You.

Robson Candêo
Placas do Paraná - Brazil
Xe, SP16, AS400 with Central Objects on it, Windows 2000.

Hi Robson,

Have you already considered to create a custom tag file (table) for the Item Master to strore your additional data instead of using attachment?

In my humble opinion it is the appropriate solution.

Create a new custom table with the same primary unique key as the Item Master table has if your additional data requires a one-to-one relationship, otherwise add a sequence number to the key if the additional data requires a one-to-many relationship.

Add data items to the tables which suites to store your additonal data.

This way your additional informations will be stored in a relational and structured way contrast with the attachment method.

You can easily control and verify when somebody enters or maintains these information, further you can help with visual assist too.
It is simple to create maintenance application(s), form(s) for your tag records and also simple to create row or form exits to access them from the Item Master forms and from other forms where you need it.

You can easy retrieve your additional information with simple Table I/O statements every where in OW (much easier than extract them somehow from an unstructured attachment).

You can also create Business View(s) join the Master and the Tag table and use it if it is the appropriate somewher, for example for reporting purpose

Finally you can issue a simple Delete table i/o statement in the Delete-After table trigger event of the Master table to delete automatically the child records in the tag table after the master record had been deleted.

If you require that the tag record have to be exist for master then you can accomplish it also in the table triggers of the master record to create it automaticaly when a new master record had been inserted.
When you go live with this solution then you can easily accomplish the one-time generatation of the tag record for the already existing master records.

Robson, could this solution work for you?
If not then why not? Do you have special requirements to use the attachment method? Please, let us know! Thanks!

Regards,

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Robson,

in addition to everything Zoltan said (which I strongly agree with - don't use attachments to store structured data), have you considered the "User Reserved" fields in F4201. You have 5 User Reserved fields (Code, Date, Amount, Number, Reference) that you may safely use as long as you do not attempt to change Data Type or length. Most master tables in OneWorld contain these fields for customer use.

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Zoltan, I agree that your idea is the best way, but we have a rule in our company that we only make customizations when there is no other way. As we are already printing the data from the attachment in item master, we really want to put this information there. Do you know how can I do that?
Thank You.

Robson Candêo

Thank You Larry, but I need 5 fields with 40 caracteres in each one.
Regards.

Robson Candêo

Robson,
If the entries made by the user are "standard" types of entries you may be able to set up the "standard" codes using the Item Category codes. Certainly it is better to add a simple tag table as detailed by the Master Zoltan.
I certainly wouldn't try to store five individual fields as an attachment.
Dave

SQL 7.0 SP1, AS400, One World XE, Citrix 1.8

Robson,
Have you considered using the Item Supplemental Data option. I am not sure whether that would serve your purpose but it's definite worth looking at it.

jdeman
OW-XE (SP-16.1) WINNT
Co-exist AS/400

Sorry, but what is this supplemental data option?

Robson Candêo

Robson,
We are using Item Supplemental for storing Item sizes for items which we are not able to store it in normal Item Master or the Tag file. Refer to application P00092. The Supplemental Data is stored w.r.t. codes. These codes are defined as per your requirements.
Following is a very high-level description (in general) about when we would need Item Supplemental Setup.(I have just copied it from the regular OW help on Inventory Mgt. You could find more information in the Inventory Mgt help; just scan for "Supplemental")

"You might need to store item information that is not included in the standard master tables. J.D. Edwards refers to this additional information as supplemental data.
You can use supplemental data at either the item master level or the branch/plant level. You define types of supplemental data for inventory items to specify categories of additional information and the specific information that you want to track for each category.
For example, perhaps you need to store detailed information for your engineering change specifications that are not included in the standard master tables. Using the supplemental database, you can enter additional information such as the departments and people who are responsible for specific duties.

As another example, you can use the supplemental database to track costs for an advertising campaign. For each item used in the campaign, you can use the supplemental database to enter information such as dates, costs, the type of campaign, and so forth.
Other examples of supplemental data include:
Quality performance information
Legal descriptions
Repair and replacement records
Information about government purchases
Hazardous material regulations
General remarks"

Best luck.
jdeman
OW-XE SP-16.1 WINNT
Co-exist AS/400

Thank You and everybody that helped me.
Now I have the enough inputs to take a good decision about this.

Robson Candêo

Hi Zoltan,

I was wondering if something similar can be doen for the Asset master data.Our requirement is to store data against the Asset like date last tested , thickness as on that date and other similar data . We were thinking of supplemental database . This post has pointed to new possibilities .However as earlier post said , "CUSTOMISATION" is frowned upon. Now , is this change proposed by you going to be effected by JDE enhancements/updates etc. How difficult is it to customise , test and maintain (300 locations , no of assets in thousands) ?

C.G.Unnikrishnan

Hi C.G.Unnikrishnan,

In my humble opinion, it would be much fortunate to open your issue as a separate thread instead of as a sub-thread under Robson's original one.

Your issue, question requires a long-long answer because its generality, so can not answer you, just briefly.

We are the Business Partner of JDE in Hungary and we have 10+ OneWorld customers. Yes, we have a bunch of customization as well as client specific as our country specific. Yes, we have a bunch of job to retrofit these customizations after ESUs and Updates but we have no other choice. How to hard to retrofit a customization is vary. Generally add-ons rarely requires any modifications. Mods on original JDE object is an other issue. The time requirement and complication to retrorofit these mods depends very much on its type (control, eventrule, BSVW extensions, etc.) and its complications.

Should I advise to you to open your issue in an indpendent new thread but please, narrow your issue a bit. I am sure, you will get more answers that time because almost all of us on this forum have a bunch of customizations.

Regards,

Zoltán

P.S.: do you mean "300 locations" as 300 workstation or something else?

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back
Top Bottom