AS400 and Deployment Server Disk Cleanup

Crazy_About_JDE

Crazy_About_JDE

Well Known Member
Hello, list! I need to free some disk space on our AS400.

Is it ok to delete update package libraries? Is it ok to delete full package libraries? How about OWINSTALL?

Is there other stuff I can safely clear? Stuff tucked away in the IFS?

Come to think of it, I would like to free some space on the deployment server, too. What kinds of disk management routines do you use?

I try to keep my old packages to a minimum. Generally I keep the last full and all updates to it, everything else I delete through Package Build and Package Assembly. That normally cleans up the libraries associated with the deleted packages. If it doesn't for some reason then I manually delete them, after being sure the build/assembly records are gone from the DEP733X environment.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Some other things you could look at. . .
The PDFs could be purged. If you do it within WorkSubmittedJobs it will also delete the associated log files.
You might want to take a look at WorkCenter cleanup and how about OMW detail?

One last thing, If you have applied anything to the AS/400 like Updates or ServicePacks, go back now and clean out the old temp folders.

Clean is good!

With the deployment server, after your ESUs are tested and deployed you can run the Update Cleanup off the Exit Bar. This will remove the files from the planner folder, the Access DB, and packages info for the ESU but leave the entry out there with a line through it.

There are a lot of things that you can do to help the AS/400 out with disk space. Here are some suggestions and let me know if you need more information on these.

1. Clean up Package Build History. Even if you clean up the package builds, the history stays out there until you purge it.

2. Clean up OMW logs - This can get rather huge in size

3. Delete old projects.

4. Check to make sure you don't have a lot of logs on AS/400 from the past.

5. Check to see the size of your SQL packages. V5R3 allows them to go to 1 gig if you have the settings set up.

There are some of the more common problems that you see with disk space being taken up on the AS/400.

Jimmy Berry
AS/400 DB2
ERP 8.0 SP23
Citrix Farm

>>1. Clean up Package Build History. Even if you clean up
>>the package builds, the history stays out there until you
>>purge it.

Is there a program to do this? Where do you do this at?

thX.

Look at report R98825E.

You can't find this on the task views, only through UBE. If you have not done this and you build a lot of packages, you really need to clean them up, but be careful not to delete any active packages.

Hope this helps

Clean Up, Clean Up - Everbody do your share (except OneWorld that is).

Sometimes I think that Hansel and Gretal helped design OneWorld. There are several places to look for dirt under the carpet.

<font color="blue">For Xe</font>

UBEs
UBE's leave bread crumbs in QGPL. When you run a UBE with the PRINTUBE program on the iSeries there are 2 temp files that are not always cleared. The OW Client will create a U* file in QGPL, and the NETWORK kernel creates that same instance as a T* file in QGPL. There was a SAR for this (SAR 4994188). If you have not applied this - QGPL will get pretty full.

<font color="blue">For Both Xe & 8.9+</font>

Install Files
When you install OneWorld, it creates a image of the CD's in the library OWINSTALL. In there you will see a SAVF for each of the library's that is creates. The Objects SAVF will be your largest (especially if you select more than 1 environment).

PRINTQUEUE
Most currently keep this under control. PDF’s add up quickly.

Packages
Clean up old packages. I normally will keep the last 1-2 full package and the updates applied to them. Anything older than that – delete. But delete them through OneWorld, not just the folder on the DS and the libraries on the ES – it will do all that.

ESU’s
When you apply the ESU for the first time (normally in DV) go ahead and click the Backup button. It copies all the objects it will be replacing to another directory and creates an ODBC connection to them for restore later on. But I would not check that for PY or PD – that’s unnecessary disk and DSN usage. Any issues should have been found in DV.

MetaFram Clean Up
We have created a script that will clean up the PRINTQUEUE on the Citrix Boxes. Anytime a user views a PDF, it pulls it from the ES and copies it into the PRINTQUEUE on the metaframe. But there is no cleanup when they close the report. These add up quickly.

<font color="blue">For 8.9+</font>

IFS
They found the IFS, and they’re moving in. There are several areas to watch in the IFS.

PSE810 – this is where the logs go for every UBE. They’re not very big in size, but they add up quickly.

PD810 (as well as PY810 & DV810) – there is a directory in there called specfile which has specs in it. But for every user that kicks off a UBE, there will be a directory with that users ID (not the proxy ID, but they OneWorld signon ID) in there as well. 4 links are copied into there when a UBE is run. They are normally cleaned up, but if a UBE does not complete successfully – those links are kept in there. They add up over time.

Hope that helps,

Kristian

Thank you all for your help with disk cleanup ideas! I was able to free about 10%.

Back