Acr*.tmp files in c:\window\temp run disk out of space

knoxjr

knoxjr

Acr*.tmp files in c:\\window\\temp run disk out of space

Hello, Some questions and actions I've taken todate, but the condition still occurs

What creates Acrxxx.tmp files (where xxx is a number) on my enterprise server at c:\windows\temp?

What would cause an ACRxxx.tmp file to become so big (1.0+ GB) that it runs my c drive out of space?

What can I do to control where and the size of Acrxxx.tmp file?

what is the content and purpose of the Acrxxx.tmp files and how can it be related back to a UBE?

Actions taken so far include;
- shut off indexing on drives - suggestion off goolgle
- making acrobat AcroRDlF.dll inatctive - suggestion off goole
- changing system environment TEMP to d:/TEMP (partial solution)
- Changed JDE.INI(JDENET) netTemporaryDir to d:/Temp (partial solution)
- Responded to angry users, by deleting file and cyclying srvices (need something better .

E812/8.96.2.3 W2K3 server

Thanks for your help and insights

Re: Acr*.tmp files in c:\\window\\temp run disk out of space

Hi,

acr* files are created by the PDF generation process.
If the PDF is large, the acr* are large too.
The only way to "control" the size of acr* files is to
instruct users not to submit 15000 pages PDF no one
around will ever read (or to set SupressOutput for
those specific reports).
You have to login to your Enterprise Server with the
same account JDE is running its services, then you
have to modify TEMP environment variable for both
System and User, and finally reboot your server.
From now, your acr* files will be generated on the
new TEMP destination.

Jerry,

In addition to Sebastion's response, here's a few other thoughts. The Arc files are temp files the acrobat creates and then deletes.

However, sometimes something happens that leaves the temp file. I have a nightly batch job that goes in and deletes all of the files in that temp directory on all of my batch servers. I probably don't need to run it that frequently, but it doesn't hurt. Here is the script:

@echo off
rem This batchfile will delete temporary JDE report files on server1, server2, server3

echo Deleting temp files from server1, server2 and server3

dir

echo y | del \\server1\c$\"Documents and Settings"\USAJDE\"Local Settings"\Temp\*.*

echo y | del \\server2\c$\"Documents and Settings"\USAJDE\"Local Settings"\Temp\*.*

echo y | del \\server3\c$\"Documents and Settings"\USAJDE\"Local Settings"\Temp\*.*

Gregg Larkin
North American JDE Systems Engineer
Praxair, Inc.

Hi Sebastian, Thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

I agree about the 1500 page deal and will speak to user as soon as I figure out what report is doing it.

One clarification - JDE services is running as a Local System Account. I have allready modified the system environment variable and have been told there is not a user variable for Local system account. Is this correct?

Hi Gregg, thanks for the response. Your suggestion is a good one we will follow up on. One consideration is that we are OK on space until the one UBE runs which seems to keep going until all space is gone! Need to find that UBE - any way to relate a .tmp file to a UBE would be helpfull. thanks

[ QUOTE ]
One clarification - JDE services is running as a Local System Account. I have allready modified the system environment variable and have been told there is not a user variable for Local system account. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a best practice in our shop - we created a domain level service account for running the jde service. We set the account to have unlimited logon, and no password change requirements. We made this password very strong and by policy have only issued this password to the CNCs and the primary infrastructure support person. A further policy is that this user account is denoted is Active Directory as a service account, and is subject to audit. If this account were shown to have logged in on a computer other than the jde servers, it would be against policy and there would need to be a documented reason for the login. We put the same standards around the JDE account. Oh the joy of living up to Sarbannes Oxley rules.

Gregg

Hi,

You're right. There's no user environment variable for
Local System account.

I can't think of a way to relate the temp file with a specific acrobat job. You had mentioned in a previous post that you moved the temp directory off of the C drive. That was a smart move and should stay there. If you run out of space on the D drive, that's inconvenient. If you run out of space on the C drive, your server crashes. That's preventable.

Gregg

Hi Jerry,

Haven't seen your name in a while
smile.gif

One thing you could try is to open the .tmp file with wordpad (or notepad when it's small). You should be able to see the content enough to find the job producing it.

I'm not at a JDE client at the moment. But I'm pretty sure the program (Rxxxxx) creating the file is in the is in the metadata.

Tom

Hello Tom, good to see you’re still in the game, it has been awhile.

Thanks to everybody who responded to this question, think it is resolved.

To recap, the RUNUBE creates 6 Acr*. and 1 DTL* temp files when it starts a job, files which are then used to create the PDF file. In most cases (if there is enough disk space) you will never see these files as they come and go. In the case here, a very large PDF was being created (over 55,000 pages!!) due to a program issue and the normal c:\windows\temp file on the c drive was insufficient.

The correction was to start jde services not as a local account, but as a named user, who’s environment temp file was directed to the D drive with lots of space. Moral – Don’t run JDE services as local account.

Hi,

We had this issue couple of time, and we found the reason why it happened in our case. It was due to a custom ube. May be it could be a trail to explore for you :
We had a custom ube with a page header in which we were displaying messages from media object attached to a work order.
It was designed to print short and important notes about production of the work order.
But couples of time, some users had copy/pasted in the media object a whole email, with many lines.
As a consequence, the message couldn't be displayed in a single page.
And so, as this message was designed to be printed on page header, the ube was generating pages over and over, until the acrobat temp file reached the size limit, make the dll failed and let the big temp file on the server.
As the user couldn't see his pdf printing, he was trying to resubmit it several times, and then we reached the disk space limit.

We changed the ube design, in order to let the message printed only once, in the report header instead of page header.

Hi,

we are facing the same issue but on HP UX 64. Oracle/JDE support send me a solution in order to override to an other location (instead tmp). But it's not working for us. Anyone has expirence with this issue on the UX side?

Thanks.

Adrian

Back