Batch Users have security defined - having a problem getting data with business view V8300001

Cathy Wilbur

Well Known Member
Batch Users have security defined - having a problem getting data with business view V8300001

We have a custom report written using the financial rpt writer using V8300001 business view. IF a person with cost centre/business unit (MCU) security uses this report they get column headings and row headings but no dollar figures in the report. I ran the report (I have no row security for MCU) and I get data just fine with the same selection criteria. Peoplesoft/Oracle said it had to be a problem with the rpt defn.

We have other reports from JDE that we slightly modified and gave our own names (these use different business views) and we can run these rpts no problem whether we have cost centre security/business unit (MCU) or not.

So we went to the cross reference facility and found a JDE rpt (R10211A) that uses the same business view V8300001 that we are using in our own custom rpt. We ran this standard JDE report with one cost centre/business unit. The end user that had row security on MCU got just row and column headings but no dollar figures. I ran the same rpt and I got column and row headings and dollar figures. Again I have no row security. I am one of the programmers that maintains the system. So this means that there is something wrong with this business view V830001.

Has anyone had this problem with business view V8300001? If so what is causing the problem and how do I quickly fix it. We have end user rpts rolling out to different groups on Wednesday of next week so it would be nice to have this resolved. I attached the report to show what the user with row security gets back.

Attachments

• 94630-R10211A_UW001_57619.PDF
    22.5 KB · Views: 154
Re: Batch Users have security defined - having a problem getting data with business view V8300001

Hi Cathy,

A couple things to look at, with regards to Row Security and Financial Reports.

There are times with the Business Unit are OK, but the Accounts are not. You are 'not' getting the No Data Selected, because the report has selected data. You are not getting any data in the columns because the Accounts (or other columnar parameters) have sub-sql'd the data away from the UBE's Select Statement.

Basically -
* One; the report's Data Selection is working (you can tell because you are NOT getting the 'No Data Selected' message)
* Two; The Financial Column(s) is/are configured in such a way that the columnar data (from the report's selected data) is omitted. Either the Accounts, Dates or Something - is out of scope.
* Three; You get data - because you don't have Security omitting data from the report's data selection.

Check this - on the rows you are getting data, isn't the user secured from those business units? If you run the same version of the report that the user is running, and you get data while they do not - then you are getting data on the report that the user is secured from.

Put a FAT client in debug mode, capture their SQL statement for the report, then capture yours. Then use Beyond Compare and check what's different.

I'm pretty sure that the issue is NOT the report definition.... Your contact at Oracle must not be a vested Financial/Security fireman...

Offlist - if you would like to do a GoToMeeting session - I can show you a bit more detail of the example. Email or IM(msn) me at [email protected]

HTH

(db)

Re: Batch Users have security defined - having a problem getting data with business view V8300001

The end user has security to the cost centre/business unit that they are selecting but the row security specifies the following:
============================
USER: LULU
Object Name: *ALL
Security Type: 4
Description: Row Security
Data Item: Cost Center
From Value: 10000
Thru Value: 10002
Alias: MCU
View: Y
Add: Y
Chng: Y
Delete: Y
============================
When the user runs regular Peoplesoft canned reports they get the data appearing with the above security but when they run any of our reports that we wrote using the financial report writer using smart fields, using view V8300001 then the data does not appear. We are using view V8300001 because we need to get data from files F0006, F0901, and F0902 (similar to the old FASTR reporting).

Peoplesoft came back and said we had to remove the "ALL" security defn and replace the all with the specific files we wanted to secure for the report. It looks as though the third file is not coming back when we have three files joined together. Peoplesoft indicated that they think the problem is with the third join. They indicated that we can get around the problem by entering a row for each file we wish to secure.

So we have to enter 3 rows (F0006, F0901, and F0902) for each current entry of row security for cost centre. That would be a total of 285 row security rows (she currently has 95 row security entries).

Has anyone had this problem? We used a canned Peoplesoft report (R10211A) which uses business view V8300001 to test our problem because the custom report does not return any data if row security is supplied. If you have row security then R10211A does not return any data either. But other Peoplesoft canned reports do return data.

Problem has been resolved by Peoplesoft.

We use Exclusive security so we grant back access at the user level. We have Row security for MCU for specific cost centres complete with ranges. This row security caused a problem with file F0012 because in the F0012 file most of the cost centre values are blank and we do not allow blanks in cost centre security.

The Financial report writer uses file F0012 to look up some AAI's. We use business view V8300001 for most of our financial reporting which I guess also interacts with file F0012.

To correct the problem we had to add a row security at the user level for each user for table F0012. I put an entry in for a row security type of 4 securing table F0012 for Cost Centre and put the from MCU=blank and the thru MCU=blank. We set each of Add, Modify and Delete each equal to "N" and set View equal to "Y". We ran our custom report again and it worked. We also tested with a canned Peoplesoft report (R10211A) and it was now working.

Before we made this change the canned R10211A report was not displaying F0902 data if the user had any cost centre row security defined. This canned Peoplesoft report also makes use of Business View V8300001.

Note: We tried to put this definition for F0012 at the *PUBLIC level but it did not work for us because we have row security defined for MCU defined at the user/group levels.

Back