Bye bye OAS - Oracle Unveils its BEA Product Roadmap

cdawes

VIP Member
"The software giant also named BEA WebLogic Server its strategic Java application server. While Oracle will continue to enhance and support its own application server, WebLogic will take its place within Fusion Middleware packages. In addition, BEA JRockit will be Oracle’s strategic Java Virtual Machine. However, Oracle will continue to certify Fusion Middleware on its old JVM as well as JVMs from other vendors."

http://andrewscg.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/oracle-unveils-its-bea-product-roadmap/

I wonder what this means to those who bought OAS as part of the red stack? Will they get a free license of weblogic?

This is a good question, although the Oracle release stated that OAS will continue to be developed . Legally they could do nothing, but for marketing purposes and customer satisfaction, I'll assume something is going to happen there.

At OpenWorld 2007, during the platforms roundtable, a certain product manager asked if there were any additional technologies we would like to see, but emphatically and with a slight smile he stated "do not ask me about BEA". That was prior to the Oracle acquisition of BEA. I'm hardly amazed by how fast business decisions can change opinions.

Technically speaking, Oracle commented that JRockit will become their "go to" JVM, though they'll continue to certify against other JVMs. BEA didn't have a JRockit for AIX or PA-RISC. It is strictly a JVM for Intel and SPARC platforms.

They could completely rip out the guts of OAS and replace it with other guts and it is still OAS. OAS is just a branding for a bunch of components tied together such as Apache for the HTTP Server, OC4J for servlets, etc., so a lot of things could happen there. OAS could even become a "WebLogic Express", which if you look at the Oracle price list, has been dumped. We could previously license WebLogic Express for dirt cheap, but it appears to be no longer available.

They also have an issue with eBusiness Suite (EBS) currently requiring OAS, but JD Edwards does not have a problem there so we'll wait and see.

It will be interesting to find out what they do, if anything, in the near term. Long term, they almost have to include some WebLogic components in a Technology Foundation, be it the Oracle Technology Foundation or a third option. I'm sure many of us will try to find out sooner rather than later.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what this means to those who bought OAS as part of the red stack? Will they get a free license of weblogic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry,

With the new roadmap document being discussed today, you'll see that the OC4J component of OAS is being replaced with Weblogic. My guess is the same as Charles, the branding will still be OAS, just the underlying components of it will change as Oracle integrates BEA into their mix. So yes, your previous OAS purchase will include Weblogic, assuming you maintain your support agreement. Weblogic is already availible on OTN for download.

Gregg

Back