.pdb files in bin32 on deployment server

OJDE

Forgive what may be a very simple question, from a non-programmer and someone who doesn't know the intricacies of the .NET compiler.

As a part of a CCUSTOM .dll creation, I had to run standalone Busbuild on the deployment server and rebuild libraries. (following the standard JDE document). This created my new .dll.

After I did that, my bin32 directory on the deployment server, in the pathcodes where I created the new library, now has a .pdb file for each dll (CCUSTOM.pdb, CDIST.pdb, etc.)

I dind't have these before, since I had been (and will very likelty be in the future) only invoking Busbuild on the deployment server from full package builds.

I have done several full package builds since, and all dlls in bin32 get built and replaced. But these old .pdb files are still there.

What are these files used for and can I safely delete them?

Thanks.

I don't know the exact answer to your question (whether or not it's okay to delete these files), but I looked up the file type on http://filext.com/index.php and this looks like it may apply:

Extension: PDB
What's This? Visual C++/.NET Program Database File -
A program database (PDB) file holds debugging and project state information that allows incremental linking of a Debug configuration of your program.

Hopefully this helps. You may also want to provide your system config info for others. That may factor in somehow.

Francois

I believe the pdb file is generated if you build your project in Debug, as opposed to Release. On the Visual Studio menu, select Build, Configuration Manager. In the drop-down box at the top of the Configuration Manager window, select "Release" as the Active Solution Configuration.

Thank you guys for the comments. The release is 8.11SP1 8.95, but I don't think this makes a difference. I think the difference is likely in the comipler settings and the way you invoke BUSBUILD - standalone (build libraries) or part of a full package build. I am still curious whether I can delete the files now, since I will be doing full package builds, after I already created my CCUSTOM Business Library. Thanks.

Back