Differentiate Environments

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
Anyone come up with a fancy way of helping the end user know what environment they are just by changing the background color or changing the font or something. With 7 environments and 5 path codes, I would like to come up with some way to give the end user an instant "sign" as to what environment they are logged on to rather than just the little DV7xxx at the bottom of the title screen. Anyone done anything special?

What we did at the last compant I worked for was to change the desktop appearance on the development server to red so it was quite obvious that you were not in production.

Yes, I have a way....I'm very busy for the next hour, but I will respond
with what I do and it works great for us.

Joy Fernandez, CNC System Administrator

Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc.

<mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

830-868-5035

For the admins that will work, but does it transfer that red screen to the Citrix users connecting to the server?

Is there something special you need to have with your Citrix settings. When I login to JDE on the Citrix machine itself, this works, but when I launch a Citrix session from a workstation, I still get white background. I have tried deleting the user profile and verfied that I am connecting to the right Citrix server and still get white? Do I need to have the published app set to True Color or does that matter?

We have modified the stbr1.bmp file for the DV and PY environment to reflect
which environment the user is logged into and working on.

Copies of the PD, PY and DV bitmap files are saved at _________.

These modified versions of the stbr1.bmp files must reside on the Deployment
Server, in the D:\b7\pathcode\res directories and are pushed out to the end
user with Full Package builds.

However, in between full package builds if a clients system loses the custom
bitmap files you can copy the appropriate file to their d:\b7\pathcode\res
directory. Have the User log out of JDE and back to see the new BMP
display.

Remember that there is a known issue with the wrong bitmap displaying, if
the user uses the search assistance when logging into JDE. Users should
always type in the environment, i.e., WPY7333, PY7333, etc...

The bitmap for PD has not been modified and will appear as originally
designed by J.D. Edwards.

Note the following examples:

For PD7333 & WPD7333 - J:\environment\PD\stbr1.bmp

For PY7333 & WPD7333 - J:\environment\PY\stbr1.bmp

For DV7333 & WPD7333 - J:\environment\DV\stbr1.bmp

This modified bitmap is displayed on all forms that are opened. The
following example is while logged into DV7333 and having the Work With
Servers P986116 opened.

Joy Fernandez, CNC System Administrator

<mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

I know you can customize the color of the WEB client by changing the workspace colors in OWPortal. Not sure about OWHTML. I'll look into it and let you know.

Dan

PS. Just checked OWHTML. Doesn't look like you can change the color scheme without modifying the actual HTML pages.

We changed the login page of our PY environment to indicate what environment they were logging onto since the URL was different because of the port number and they are on separate servers.

We modified the logintop.gif by adding some text to the graphic indicating this is PY. We also default the environment on both the PY and PD systems by changing the html4login.jsp

defaultEnvironment = "JPY7333" or defaultEnvironment = "JPD7333"

grm

Hi,

What i just tested and works fine too for web client (but depends on how you manage your different web instances), is to replace the file "jdelogo.gif" that is located in the "JDEdwards\JAS_x\EA_JDEdwards_x.ear\webclient.war\img" directory on your web servers.
I replaced it with the logo of my company, with a text under saying "PY - IN" or "PreProd" or "Production".
It's working fine for us because we don't have access to all those environment from the same instance.
And what's pretty cool in that method is that this logo is always displayed, even when you're in a program. So you always know where you are.

See attachment, related to PY.

Attachments

• 82768-jdelogo.gif
    82768-jdelogo.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 228
Interesting. I will see if there is a similar "jdelogo.gif" for the Citrix users that I can modify. Unless anyone knows of one and where it is to change? The color changing thing just isn't working for me. Everything is still coming in white unless I am physically on the Citrix machine, which, of course, doesn't help at all.

Finally figured the color thing out. If you change the color on the desktop and window in the appearance section, it saves the settings for the user you are logged in as, i.e. jdeadmin. It saves these color settings in the ...\Documents and Settings\%username% in the NTUSER.DAT file. So I copied the NTUSER.DAT file to the Default User folder in Documents and Settings and it now transfers all the colors to all users. Works great!

Hi,

I look a bit further on the customisation of the web client.
As i said, i replaced the jdelogo.gif by an image with our company logo and a text saying in which environment you are (PY-IN in my tests).
But i also found how to change the backgroung colors so you can see immediatly where you are.
The background color of the top of the html pages (where is displayed the jdelogo.gif) is defined in the file "portal.css" in the "/owportal" directory of the web instance. Find the section ".mainnav" and change "background-color" (which is defined to white - #ffffff).
To change the global background color of the page (color that is around the grids, ...), in the same file, change the "background-color" of the section "BODY" at the top of the file.
To change the background color of menus, you have to change it in the file "ActiveEraForm.css" file in "css" directory of the instance. Change "BACKGROUND-COLOR" in the section "BODY" (at the end of the file).

Another thing you can change is the url used when you click on the "jdedwards" logo at the top of the html page. As i change this logo by our own logo, i wanted that it was linked to our web site instead of jdedwards' one. For that, look for the file "Form.js" in the "js" directory of the instance, and change the variable at the begining of the file "var topNavBarLink = " to put the web site you want.

With OneWorld Xe html client, it works great.

Hope this help.

Re: RE: Differentiate Environments

We are using Solution Explorer -- do you know of a bmp we can change in that environment? We also have all of our environments on one server so I don't think I can do the color modifications. If anyone has any ideas on how to alert users as to the environment they are in using Solution Explorer I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: RE: Differentiate Environments

About the only thing you can do in this case then is replace the strb1.bmp in the /xx7334/res folder in each patchcode with a .bmp that has letters like DV PY and PD

Down and dirty (yet pleasingly quick and effective) . . .

I needed something quick and easy. After a little analysis, I found that by editing the color used in a css file, I was able to change the header color on every one of the 'screens' OneWorld opens for me. One change with global results. Cool.

File: \PeopleSoft\JAS\EA_JS_7331_ server .ear\webclient.war\owportal

.MenuBar {
background-color: #CCDBE6;

May all your solutions be as satisfying
Doug

Back