Installed SP23 B1 on my HP-UX enterprise server. Can not run porttest.

rohan

---------------------LOG FILE----------------------------

25477 Fri Jul 16 10:19:25 2004 ipcpub.c3133
process 25477 <jdenet_k> registered in entry 13

25477 Fri Jul 16 10:19:25 2004 jdeksec.c3270
INITIALIZING SECURITY SERVER KERNEL

25477 Fri Jul 16 10:19:26 2004 dbperfrq.c386
OCI0000178 - Unable to execute - SELECT OMENHV, OMAPPLID, OMOBNM, OMDATP, OMDATS, OMUGRP, OMOAPP, OMDATM, OMOVRE, OMSY, OMSTSO, OMFUNO, OMOCM2 FROM SVM7334.F986101 WHERE ( OMENHV = :KEY1 AND OMSTSO = :KEY2 AND OMFUNO = :KEY3 AND OMOBNM = :KEY4 AND OMUGRP = :KEY5 ) ORDER BY OMSTSO ASC,OMAPPLID ASC

25477 Fri Jul 16 10:19:26 2004 dbperfrq.c393
OCI0000179 - Error - ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error

25477 Fri Jul 16 10:19:26 2004 jdb_drvm.c938
JDB9900401 - Failed to execute db request

25477 Fri Jul 16 10:19:26 2004 jdb_omp1.c2546
JDB9900259 - Failed to select from F986101

Did you keep the default owenv in the system/bin32 directory or did you move over your previous owenv file?

Charles

hi charles,

thanks 4 your response.
i kept the default owenv and moved on to sp23. my earlice service pack i.e. sp22 is working fine and i am able to run porttest. do you have any idea where i went wrong??

Perhaps you can list your server and database configuration so we have something to work from. Did you recently install Oracle 9i (9.2?). If so, are you using Oracle 8i client on the UNIX box or did you also point your ORACLE_HOME to the Oracle 9i client directory. This may be related to your problem, but it's difficult to know without the finer details.

hi anderson
i don't think this problem is due to Oracle since i can still work on last Service pack. I would appreciate if u could find smthing for me.
Thanks,
Rohan

Charles,

I have seen this Oracle error a few times on some non-OneWorld systems. This problem is normally associated with character conversion problems and differences between the client and server NLS_LANGUAGE settings. The Two-task layer is responsible for character conversion.

In your case the client is the jde security kernel. Normally the unix environment variable NLS_LANG controls this but I believe the LocalCodeSet variable in the [Install] stanza of the server's jde.ini comes into play. Could this have changed?

Take a look at this link that describes steps to troubleshoot the ORA-03106 error
http://www.fors.com/velpuri2/ERRORS/TWO-TASK COMMON ERRORS

It is possible that you have a bona fide bug in the service pack. My experience with HP/UX and OneWorld has found more weird OS and database access bugs than any other OW platform. I am not sure if it is because the platform is less common or less tested or both.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

The more I think about it, the more I think you are correct. There are simply too many bugs in recent code built for PA-RISC to call it anything else. That's not to say this code doesn't work on the developer machine in Denver, however. I am running with a few bugs myself that simply aren't "reproduceable" in Denver but I can build out a new machine with no knowledge of the build process our Unix admins go through and I run into the same issues once EnterpriseOne is installed. It's a crapshoot on which "Tools Release" will work on the machine. I didn't have any luck with SP21 or SP22 on my lab box, but SP20 always worked fine. The issue there was a bad libora90.sl which forced us to use the libora80.sl driver library and the Oracle 8i client. Sort of a catch-22 if you ask me. Still, I'm not so sure we have all the information to say whether or not it's something he's missing or if it's the build. We just upgraded production to 8.9. This means I'm missing the B7333 tablespaces and it would be somewhat difficult for me to test SP23 on my lab machine without jumping through a few hoops. Who knows, maybe I will do it just for fun.

So what was your final outcome? I happened across a section of the Oracle 9.2 installation guide which mentions a "TWO_TASK" environment variable. Do you have one? If so, what is it set to? This might be good information for the future.

From Oracle 9 Installation Guide
May 2002
Part No. A96167-01:

TWO_TASK Set the TWO_TASK variable to the default connect identifier to use in the connect string. The default connect identifier does not need to be specified in the connect string. For example, if the TWO_TASK environment variable is set to sales, you can connect to a database using the CONNECT username/password command rather than the CONNECT username/password@sales command.

There is often confusion between TWO_TASK and two-task common. If you refer to the link in my previous post, http://www.fors.com/velpuri2/ERRORS/TWO-TASK COMMON ERRORS, you will see a discussion of both "two task"'s . In a nutshell, TWO_TASK is used to set the TNS connection string while the two-task common layer is used to handle character conversion between client and server. In this particular case, the error message ORA-3106 refers to the character translation layer "two-task common".

Here is a snippet from the link I provided:

The following errors are examples of two-task common errors:

ORA-3100: communication area cannot be allocated
ORA-3106: fatal two-task communication protocol error
ORA-3117: two-task save area overflow

Examples of "TWO_TASK" errors would be:

TNS-12154: TNS could not resolve service name
TNS-12203: TNS could not connect to destination
TNS-12538: TNS no such protocol adapter

Regards,

Yeah, you have to wonder why there would be confusion! I simply didn't take the time to look at the link because it's not my problem, but his. In hindsight, maybe that would have been a good idea.

Charles

Back