Global Deployment Architecture

czorbach

Pardon me as I am not a techie, but have a question on deployment architecture.

Our company (currently on World in US only) has began a project to deploy OneWorld to seven different locations around the globe (about 75 users). The app options being tested are HTML and fat client over Citrix. The backend db is on an AS/400 (I think it is DB2 but am not sure). We do not intend to use terminal servers or app servers in the individual locations, but rather connect back in to the AS/400 over our VPN network.

My thoughts on this architecture is that it requires considerable bandwidth (especially with a host printing model), and that the response times (including latency) may be unacceptable.

Any advice as to best practices for a global deployment of OneWorld to users spread around the world, some of whom are in locations with poor telecomm infrastructure?

czorbach,

In my opinion VPN just doesn't work with citrix. We are a global install, currently in about 20 countries. Every time we have tried to use VPN the performance and disconnect issues are just too severe to use. Our standard is that in spite of the cost we use Frame Relay, the bottom line in our opinion is you can spend your money on the frame, or you can spend your money on the help desk.

Just our humble opinion.
PS we have just started our HTML Proof-of-Concept project.

Tom Davidson

I guess my terminology was a bit off - we plan on using Citrix over our WAN, which is made up of several frame relay connections. Only one location will be using VPN, with a broadband connection.

We did a sniff test on some of the processes, and the packet sizes weren't too bad. I think the big unkown relates to printing and downloading reports to Excel. We don't know what affect this will have and can't seem to quantify it at this time.

The answer to your "Poor Telecom" question is related to how you use the software. To use satellite as an example solution:
- Its latency is too high for Citrix but may be acceptable for HTTP depending on the application.
- Store and Forward could be a solution but is only supported for a small number of OneWorld applications.
- Write a custom application in VB that outputs a Z file to be imported to OneWorld. Ths could work well with satellite, but again this is not a solution for all applications.

I don't beleive their is a one-size-fits-all solution. You need to understand how the software will be used, the limitations of the infrastruction and then design the solution around that information.

Back