Building an update package - server or "FAT" client

tgore

tgore

Reputable Poster
Building an update package - server or \"FAT\" client

Does it make a difference where I build an update package, the deployment server or a "FAT" client? When I build a pacakge with an object that has versions, the version are listed when it is built from a "FAT" client, but not when it is built from the deployment server. I also notice a -big- difference in the amount of time it takes to build the package (way longer from the "FAT" client). I think I can attribute the time difference to network traffic. There is no "transferring" back and forth when building from the deployment server, but objects need to be "transferred" back and forth on a "FAT" client.

Thanks

Re: Building an update package - server or \"FAT\" client

I don't think it makes any difference.I normally build update packages from a FAT client. The time it takes depends on the 1)network 2) Object type and 3) number of objects.

Tom

I always build packages from my fat client but you can also do it from the deployment server. Either way I always assemble the package in the environment/path code the package is for so you get your versions then build it in a different environment to avoid file in use errors (doesn't happen often).
That's my two cents.

Patty

tgore, your observation is absolutely correct in that you won't be able to see the version on the deployment server. This is because the versions will reside in the environment (DV) that you created them in until you actually deploy them. So, in order to get around that, you can sign on to the DV environment while on the deployment server and assemble the package. Sign off, then sign back on to DEP7334 environment and go back in to continue with the Package Definition, etc.

As far as the time it takes to build a package on the fat client, line speed and traffic throughput do have a lot to do with it because of the data transfers that are occurring. Another thing that contributes to the degredation of the speed is if the fat client has a virus utility enabled at the time of the build. Always turn that off when executing a build on the fat client.

Hope that helps.

Re: Building an update package - server or

Hi tgore:
I switch from building packages from my deployment server to a fat client after doing some testing.

The thing is that my fat client has 2 CPU 30% faster than the 4 CPU used by the deployment server.

Now, my full packages are taking 30% less time than when I was using the deployment server. To minimize traffic network, the fat client is connected using Fiber to the same FCAL where the deployment server is connected.

Using Netmeeting allow me to have full control of the fat client and also to build the packages without problem and much, much faster.

When building packages from a fat client, always signon to the pathcode (through the right environment) you are building the package for.

Best regards
Jorge

OneWorld Xe, Base, SP 19.1
Windows 2000 Advance Server, SQL Server 2000

Back