Memory "leak" during GBRSPEC in Full Pkg Build

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
Memory \"leak\" during GBRSPEC in Full Pkg Build

We moved our Deployment Server from Win NT4.0 to Win2000 last November, and now are trying to build our first full package on the Win2000 server. It gets through the business build completely, although a bit slower than on Win NT4.0. It goes through building specs ok until it gets to the GBRSPEC's. At this point, it goes into a slow memory leak, losing about 200 MB of memory per hour. This goes on until either we kill the package build, or it renders the deployment server useless, which our end users don't like, since it also houses our media objects. I had Norton Antivirus turned off, and we are on Win2000 SP3.

Also, we actually wiped out Win NT4.0 on our deployment server and then loaded Win2000 -- so we did NOT use the upgrade process to get from Win NT4.0 to Win2000; it was a fresh install of Win2000.

Any ideas on what else to check and/or try to allow the package to complete successfully?

RE: Memory \"leak\" during GBRSPEC in Full Pkg Build

Don :

If you're on Windows 2000 SP3 then you have the same problem that I had.
You just need to install SP21 and its latest hotfix.
OneWorld SP20 doesn't support W2000 SP3.

Sebastian Sajaroff

Re: Memory \"leak\" during GBRSPEC in Full Pkg Build

Does the package build ever finish ? Are you sure this is occurring on a Full or an Update build ?

Re: Memory \"leak\" during GBRSPEC in Full Pkg Build

Jon,

No, the package build never finishes. Actually, the one time it got the furthest it got down to 1MB of physical memory available on the deployment server. Then my users started calling to complain about having problems with media objects' response time, and I had to kill the build. I didn't have the luxury of letting the build just go on.

I did go out onto the KG today to look at the Minimum Technical Requirements for XE Clients, and found that for the Deployment Server, there is a note stating that they recommend Win2000 SP2 or SP3, and then there is another note that Win2000 SP3 is supported beginning with OneWorld B7333 (XE) SP21. So now, I'm looking at going back to Win2000 SP2. I am not at all satisfied that SP21 is a workable release -- I've seen too many posts about printing problems, G/L Post problems, performance problems (can only do a find on 1 window at a time), and RDA memory violations. This beast is just too buggy for me to try!

RE: Memory \"leak\" during GBRSPEC in Full Pkg Build

Don :

I could solve the G/L bug by applying 3 ESUs detailed on KG, but
RDA memory violations are still going on.

Regards, Sebastian Sajaroff

Re: RE: Memory \"leak\" during GBRSPEC in Full Pkg Build

An update on our package build. I ended up building a full package on a Win2000 client with SP2. The entire build finished in just over 9 hours, an improvement of almost 1-3/4 hours over our last full package build on our deployment server. Of course, the client has a 1.7GHz processor vs. our dual 450MHz server.

Here's where it got interesting. As it was building the GBRSPEC's, the memory available on both the client and our deployment server continued to drop. This time, I let it keep on going, and it eventually finished. After the GBRSPEC was built and its indices were built, the memory available on both the client and deployment server jumped back up. This leads me to believe that the package build is trying to cache (in memory) the spec files as it is building them.

Maybe package build has always done this, but we sure noticed it when we tried the package build on our deployment server this last time. I wonder if there is some Win2000 or JDE setting that controls how much memory it will use to try and cache spec files (or any files). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: RE: Memory \"leak\" during GBRSPEC in Full Pkg Build

I've been following this thread and thanks for the update. We had the same problem. We were on SP19 and our network guys upgraded to Win2000 SP3 without my knowledge. Package builds increased over 8 hours and when it was running the spec build the memory on the box went to 1800K, almost nothing. We have recently upgraded to SP21 so I'm hoping the package builds go better. I'm going to try this weekend for the first Full Build.

Back