Promoting an ASU

PissuPora

Hi list,
We have finished testing Update 6 in prototype and we want to move to production. Should I rebuild the full client package and reinstall in all the clients or should I create a client update package? If I should build an update package, what are the objects to be included? Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

Definitely build a full package in Production (Client/Server). Check out the
best practices section on the knowledge garden - it's got some useful
information on this process. Also make sure that you redo the special
instruction in Production after you apply the Update. Check our OFN-02-0069
for the Finance ESU's you'll need.

Colin

Colin Dawes, Sr. Technical Consultant
Syntax.net
B733.1 to ERP 8.0
Oracle 8i/9i/SQL Server 2K, DB2

Thanks Colin! I went through the doc, but it does not talk about how to update client side. As I understand, the client installation will not get the latest objects just because you rebuild the client package. Correct me if I am wrong.

That's correct. Clients (or servers) won't necessrily get the latest objects
just because you rebuild the package. You need to install the package on all
machines (clients and servers). For any large updates it's best to build a
full package for the client and the server - especially if there are
business functions included in the updates. Building a full package will
ensure that C source files are build with the correct header file. Also,
building a full package serves to ensure that all is still working. Check
out these documents on the Knowledge Garden for info on applying the
updates: otm-02-0018, OTM-02-0002.

Colin

Colin Dawes, Sr. Technical Consultant
Syntax.net
B733.1 to ERP 8.0
Oracle 8i/9i/SQL Server 2K, DB2

Unless your test environment matches your production environment exactly, I would think you would want to merge the ASU with your production objects and then build a full production package to deploy to your client machines (after some production testing of course). I suppose you could try building an update package, but that would mean promoting each object included in the ASU to the Prod environment. And then selecting those objects for the update package. Lots of room for mistakes or missing objects in my opinion.

Hi,

I think what you need to do is Apply the ASU to your Production Environmnet including special instructions, then build a fill Prod Package deply it to your enterprose and one client machine for testing, them promote all the objects you have retro fitted in your test env. to Production and build an update package with just those objects, deploy it to your enterprise and a fat client test to verify they work as they should then deploy to all your clients.

You probarlt will want to do this at a down time because once you deploy the package to your Prod Enterprise you have changed it.

If you try to promote the ASU on an object level you may miss something.

Back