Adobe problem on Citrix

sbreitenbach

We've got a problem with our Citrix clients, trying to view pdf's on the enterprise server. If the users do not open Adobe Reader first, and then select to view the pdf, they get an error saying something to the effect that Adobe cannot be found. If they open Adobe Reader first, and then view the pdf, there are no problems.

Now, we have two Citrix boxes, and I cannot say, with 100% accuracy, that this problem occurs on both boxes (I haven't had the time to play with it to figure it out.)

My question is has anyone else seen this problem, and have you been able to resolve it? If so, will you let me in on the secret? It's not a serious problem, but one that I would really like to get off my plate.

Thanks,

Steve, what version of Adobe are you running? I had a similar problem on my DS when the NT guys uninstalled Adobe 3 (the registered version) but left version 4. Got a pop up saying Adobe couldn't be found and what would I like to use to read the pdf. I finally got wise, browsed to the Adobe directory and selected the EXE for Adobe 4. Since then, Adobe is now registered and does the auto-launch when viewing PDFs.

Steve-

Reinstall Adobe on the terminal servers to a directory path with no spaces.

Regards,
David

Brightpoint NA
Sun/Oracle 8.1.6 / Citrix Xe base Sp15.1 live
Update 4 / SP18.1 sandbox

Steve :

Have you installed Adobe from Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs?
Windows Terminal Server (on which Citrix is based) has its own
Registry manipulation and most applications need to be installed from
Control Panel in order to be correctly registered.
In that case, uninstall your Adobe Reader on both servers, and
reinstall it from Control Panel. Say 'Apply for all users' when Windows
ask the question (it may apply Registry changes for all users or only
for the active one at that moment).

Sebastian Sajaroff

I was able to replicate the error on the thin client. Does the attachment look like your problem?

What is the file path of the adobe reader .exe?

Is the file path same as this one?
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader

Attachments

• 44057-Attached.doc
    40.5 KB · Views: 87
I really appreciate all the help. I guess I underestimated the response to this problem. Unfortunately, I have been unable to give my full attention to your replies and to the problem since posting it this morning. We are upgrading our AS/400 from a 720 to an 820 tomorrow (Saturday, Oct. 26th) and have been busy preparing for that. I will give more attention to this problem at the beginning of the week and will report back to you then.

Please do not hesitate to give me more suggestions, as I will try each of them until I get things resolved. Until then, please be patient with me.

Thanks,

OK... I'm still playing with this. I haven't been able to do anything about the uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat yet, but I do have the exact error message that the users are getting...

Font Capture: AcroRD32.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x00416ab5" referenced memory at "0x00f4f000." The memory could not be "read."

When I select "OK", I am asked if I want to locate the reader myself. When I chose "Yes" and locate the acrord32.exe on the Citrix machine, I get the same error as above. It's only when I open Acrobat first, and then view the PDF, that I am able to actually view the pdf without getting any errors.

Sorry for bringing this up again, but a user just got this message, and forgot how to go about getting around it. I thought I would take the opportunity to get the actual error message and see if I could get it to work by locating the reader manually.

Thanks,

Steve :

What Acrobat are you using? 4.0? 5.0? 5.05?

Sebastian Sajaroff (JDELIST)

Re: RE: Adobe problem on Citrix

davids had the correct solution to the problem. This is a known issue with Acrobat 4.0 on Terminal Servers. Basically, the association for the PDF file type is not connecting properly to the EXE file.

You can go to Windows Explorer, menu Tools-Options, and go to the File Types tab. Click on Adobe Acrobat Document, and hit the Edit button. Now click on "open" in the Actions list, and hit the Edit button.

The path to the Acrobat Reader is probably in quotes with the full long file name and path. You must edit the line so that it uses the short file name equivalents for the path, and take out the quotes. You can keep the quotes around the parameter. It should wind up looking something like this:

C:\Progra~1\Adobe\Acroba~1.0\Reader\Acrord32.exe "%1"

Hope this helps.

Back