changing quantity field permanently in to decimal both display level and database level.

kasi78_2000

changing quantity field permanently in to decimal both display level and database level.

hi,
I have a quantity column in one application where i want it too
display in decimals(i.e accept decimal) and store in database in decimal.The class that data item using is not having decimal
feature.then i changed it class to DWHAMOUNT which has decimal feature.still i facing problem.is there any way to solve this problem.
plz reply

Re: changing quantity field permanently in to decimal both display level and database level.

kasi,

You are taking a big risk by changing a data dictionary item's class if you are in a production database. The reason is that although OneWorld may display a field with decimals, it is usually stored as a whole number in the database, but the value is multiplied by (10 ^ #ofdecimals). By just changing the class of a field in OneWorld, you have not done anything to change the actual values stored in the database. In fact, if a field with a value of 123 had been stored using the old class without decimals, the value in the database would be 123. If you then change the class to have 2 display decimals, then that value would then be interpreted by OneWorld as 1.23.

The other consideration is where else this data dictionary item is used. If it is used in any other application or UBE, you may start having problems with those programs.

My advice for you is DON'T mess with data dictionary item definitions, especially in a Production environment. If need be, create a tag file to store the value(s) in the format you want. In this way, you won't be messing with the base JDE database definition and you'll still be able to get the data you want. Good luck!

Back