table layout in world??

If you type 40 from a menu and press enter and then enter your file name
and press enter you can see the file layout and fields.

Jim Rubino
Senior Programmer Analyst
FIKE CORPORATION (r)
704 South 10th Street
Blue Springs, Mo. 64015
* Direct Dial - (816) 655-4579
* Or - (816) 229-6216 Ext. 1079
* [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

On command line 40
(or) menu G9362/option number 7(File filed description)

You have obviously only just started to work with World software, so please do yourself a favor and read the Technical Foundation Manual. This describes in great detail all the basic architecture, infrastructure and concepts of the system, and would have answered that question easily for you.

Aside from that, is there nobody else in your work location that knows World? If I was an IT Manager I would be nervous knowing that the people working on my systems did not even know the basics or JDE or AS/400. If there are more knowledgeable people in your IT department, then basic questions like this ought to be answered by them. Online forums like this are normally (or at least they used to be) for more complex issues that cannot be easily answered in-house.

Sorry - just my 2cents for the morning......

I thought that the forum was for gleaning knowledge from more experienced users safe in the knowledge that I would be treated with respect and professionalism. Opinions on other compnanies' IT structures do not have a place here. JDE World questions, however basic they may appear, have a rightful placeon this forum.

While I agree with you (and apologies if I overdid my previous response) I think there is a point at which some posters can be seen to know precious little about the system. If they are asking advice on things that are the very basics of the system, whether it is JDE or AS400, I am just left wondering why either there is nobody in their company they can ask or why they have not read the essential manuals.

This is the way most of us learned our profession, from our peers and also from studying the manuals. I can't see any way that this method ought to change either. I know many in the younger generations just open up new "toys" and figure out how to use them without ever reading the instructions, but you just can't do that when you are working with a complex accounting system.

"Now let me see - what happens if I press this button here?"
"HOLY @#$% BATMAN - WHERE DID ALL THE DATA GO?"

Back