Separate series of PO number per Project

sungoku

Dear List,

While maintaining the standard PO numbering of JDE, is it possible to provide another PO number series that's manually entered but will detect duplicates upon submission? This separate PO Numbering series will be maintained by the user to monitor PO's per Project they are doing PO. The idea is to provide a series per project and not reuse it. We've thought of using unused fields VR01 and VR02 in table F4301, however they are already in use for something else. What could be a good approach for this situation?

Thanks!
Byron

OneWorld Xe B7333 SP16
SQL 7.0
Citrix

Thanks for your reply. To my knowledge, the use of Business Units is limited to about 50? The number of projects to be categorized can easily exceed 50.

My advice - don't.

PO number is just a record key. Adding logic to the field will just create headaches down the road when business needs change (no one ever thinks they will, but they always do). It gets especially nasty when lazy developers start hard coding your numbering logic into reports. You end up throwing away a lot of code when your business needs change. Besides, what business purpose does it serve? They only argument that I can think of is "I can tell these are my PO's". This is a specious argument. Use the MCU or branch plant to group by project, and let the PO number fall where it may.

I have done a number of implementations involving merged companies, and have seen first hand the problems smart numbers create when a logical numbering system from one business collides with a logical numbering system from another. Best to avoid these issues from the outset.

Thanks for your thoughts. The business reason explained to me is for easy tracking of PO's per projects by the approver. The approver of PO's had experiences before on anomalies. And the technique on monitoring PO's per project proved effective. That's why with the use of JDE, the approver wants to maintain the JDE PO numbering but add another field where his own series of numbering will be placed. The only logic I see to be added in this extra field will be check on uniqueness, which I think can be solved by indexing.

Byron

Back