P48013 Default Document type to Item Code?

JohnEcc

We operate numerous Work Order document types across our range of manufactured items. Rather than set up multiple menu versions for groups of products (with the appropriate WO document type process option default) is it possible to set up a default WO document type linked to the item number elsewhere in OneWorld? Checked item master and Branch Plant master but doesn't appear to be an opportunity there. Appreciate any advice.

rgds,
JohnE

It is possible to suggest numerous places in OneWorld to store a Document Type against an Item. You can choose a Category Code in F4102 if you wish - but you will always come up with the basic problem that you will have to write some clever bespoke code into P48013 so that it retrieves the DCTO.

One feature you can use (if you use an F4102 Cat Code) is the P48013 Processing Option that automatically brings in the F4102 Cat Code of your choice into one of the first three WO Cat Codes. Maybe you could tinker with this Business Function to move the Cat Code to the WACDTO? I wouldn't advise this - it could be messy. If you don't bespoke the code then your users will have to go back into each WO and change the DCTO to match the Cat Code. You could write a bespoke UBE to do this automatically but you may want to use the WO MBF to do the update as there could be all kinds of hidden functionality around changing DCTO on a WO.

In the final analysis you should make sure that you have a good, and fundamental, Business Reason for Multiple DCTO's. The only reason for using this is to key into the AAI's. Your WO Cat Codes are there for reporting and you do have a alternative Cost Center in the WO for use in the Journals. The Parts have the G/L Class therefore I have not seen a good case for multiple Doc Types in WO's.

I have seen clients make the mistake of using multiple DCTO's JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN. You have ten Cat Codes, a Cost Center and a G/L Class - don't these meet all the Reporting & Financial requirements? Consider the alternatives.

Back