JD Edwards World A7.3 Security

Roscoe_Floyd

Hi All

We have JD Edwards World version A7.3 and our company wants to start using JD Edwards group security support. I've reviewed the documentation and it seems straight forward enough but I can't find the part of the guide that gives the details or specifics about the process. I'm trying to find the World Software Administrators Guide maybe that would help. I think we have the complete documentation but the documentation I've got installed on my PC looks like a users guide though it does have the technical foundation chapter. We are using JD Edwards standard menus and the security menu is G94. I'm responsible for designing and setting up the group security and I'm just not getting it yet. The guide explains the definitions of the different types of masks and the authority priorities but doesn’t go to deep into the design or setup maybe a group setup example would be nice. Any feedback, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Roscoe

Roscoe,

You won't find any examples in the docmentation. Most of the security setups are generated by trial and error. If you post a specific scenario on the board, I'm sure someone will respond with some specific settings.

As for the group security, it is a combination process. The various masks can be setup in independent and then the overall security applied to the user. Be aware though, you will have to change all the standard menus adding the menu mask criteria to the main menus and the options.

Most companies find it easier to create custom menus tailored to the specific user groups. Good luck in pursuring this.

Roscoe_Floyd <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi All

We have JD Edwards World version A7.3 and our company wants to start using JD Edwards group security support. I've reviewed the documentation and it seems straight forward enough but I can't find the part of the guide that gives the details or specifics about the process. I'm trying to find the World Software Administrators Guide maybe that would help. I think we have the complete documentation but the documentation I've got installed on my PC looks like a users guide though it does have the technical foundation chapter. We are using JD Edwards standard menus and the security menu is G94. I'm responsible for designing and setting up the group security and I'm just not getting it yet. The guide explains the definitions of the different types of masks and the authority priorities but doesn’t go to deep into the design or setup maybe a group setup example would be nice. Any feedback, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
!
Thanks
Roscoe

Thanks for the help Mike. The primary design issue I have is I would like to design a group like the one displayed below. I would like to know how to make groups of groups or how to do that in JD Edwards system. Keep in mind that all the options below, or most the options below will have their own group.
We have people that we want to only have authority to the address book menu for example.

Primary Group *JDEGROUPAC

Secondary Groups make up the primary group
G01 Address Book *JDEGROUPAB
G04 Accounts Payable *JDEGROUPAP
G03 Accounts Receivable *JDEGROUPAR
G44 Contract Management *JDEGROUPCM
G12 Fixed Assets *JDEGROUPFA
G36 Forecasting *JDEGROUPFC
G10 Financial Reporting *JDEGROUPFR
G09 General Accounting *JDEGROUPGA
G51 Job Cost Accounting *JDEGROUPJA
G42 Sales Order Processing *JDEGROUPSO

Roscoe,

It sounds like you need some additional help in managing your system and some advice on setup and design. G Menus are really only there as a guide and I am wondering if your users are also using the standard ZJDE and XJDE versions also? Security is pretty simple but you need a good design and business policy / maintenance process around it to make it effective. Users are placed in groups and the groups control their access (simplified), *PUBLIC is the baseline within which Action Code security is defined at a 'default' level. Questions you might want to ask yourself is whether you want to 'grant' access to your users or 'deny' access to them. This largely depends on the type and size of your organisation. Security is layered and has different components which together define what access your user has - you need to decide first how you are going to set this up before you start putting it together. If you have a specific question I would be happy to help as I have configured JDE security on endless occasions! (World and OneWorld). James

Thanks for the help James

I certainly will be contacting you and will enjoy any and all suggestions you have working on this project. I need to continue reviewing your email and I will contact you very soon. I will be working on your suggestions and thanks
for the help. Maybe we should communicate directly so we do not clutter up the bulletin board I can be reached at [email protected]. Since setting up the security is so simple I will be posting the final results so everyone can use and follow the directions in a step by step format. Again thanks and I look forward to your help.

Roscoe

Hi Roscoe
you have a big job there, and you need help! There are various 3rd party products to help. We use - and are very happy with - SOXlock by Allout security. Great for reporting and Seg of Duties too. Have a look at web page

Regards
Martin

Back