jas generator hangs at end of db update

cnc_boy

cnc_boy

i'm having a problem running the generation on our prod environment. i built a fresh PD full package on the weekend and deployed to gen(seperate machine from web). ran full gen sunday night but the gen hung overnight. web server was toast. couldn't run apps, submit ube's etc. about all i can do is log on and navigate the task view.

restarted the gen with "Core Objects" and now the gen hangs right after "DSTR's inserted into database". tried genning "Apps" same thing, hangs at end for all gens when run individually. this "DSTR's inserted" is the last step of the process before "Generation Completed Successfully" would normally appear.

also, i regenerated the F989998 and F989999 tables and started gen from scratch but the generator still hangs, even on "Core Objects" gen.

yes, i've bounced all my servers (enterprise, deploy, generator and web server)

another point, we are running multi foundation. PD is on SP21_J1 and PY and DV are SP22_Q1.

Did you include a full set of Data Dictionary and Global Tables on your Java build machine?

yes, i even recreated both so they're up-to-date. mysteriously it's working again for core objects and i'm retrying a full gen now. no idea yet why this happened. if i find the cause i'll post it.

cnc boy,
did you ever get to the root cause of this problem as we have just got the same problem on our gen machine.

Regards

Darren

I had the same issue and it was my JDK version that stopped working after an ESU/SP was applied - I was on ERP8 and SP22. You can find out more info in tech flash GSSTF-04-0642 which I've pasted below:

Title: Java Generator hangs while generating serialized objects in parallel mode.

Release(s): EnterpriseOne 8.9 using IBM JDK 1.3.1 from WebSphere 5.0 with Fix Pack 2

Platform(s): Windows

Issue: Under certain conditions, the Java Generator can hang while generating serialized objects in parallel mode. When the problem occurs, the Java Generator graphical interface stops responding to user actions, and becomes blank when moved, resized, or restored. The CPU utilization of the java process drops to zero.

Fix/Workaround: Follow the instruction below to obtain a fixed IBM JDK for Windows to use on the generation machine.

1. Use your favorite FTP client to connect to service2.boulder.ibm.com (e.g. from command prompt, type ftp service2.boulder.ibm.com)
2. Log on as JDEdward
3. Enter password as sky2blue
4. Change to was directory (e.g. type cd was)
5. Make sure that your transfer mode is binary. (e.g. type binary)
6. Retrieve IBM JDK cn131w-20030708-rpkg.zip (e.g. type get cn131w-20030708-rpkg.zip)
7. Log off from the FTP site
8. Unzip the downloaded file to a directory of your choice on the generation machine.
9. Edit gen.bat and set the location of the JDK to the java directory created when you unzipped the downloaded file.

Optionally, you may use your existing JDK to generate serialized objects in sequential mode.

many thanks for the suggestion. i have followed your instructions but the problem is still occuring.
unfortunately, in this case, when the problem occurs, it is not the Java Generator graphical interface that stops responding to user actions. it doesn not become blank when moved, resized, or restored.
if anyone else has seen this before please get in touch as i am rapidly losing my hair!

Are you generating your serialized objects in sequential mode? In the following order?

1. Business Views
2. Tables
3. NER's
4. Data Dictionary
5. Applications
6. Reports

we have a similar problem, and was solved reinstalling the JVM for sun.

hope this helps.

We are on Oracle and were experiencing the same issue, however we are on Oracle 9i. The fix was to upgrade our Oracle JDBC driver to a new version on the gen system. If you are generating through the web server, you will need to update the driver on the web server.

Back