J.D. Edwards replication / High availability (iseres 400)

Michael L.

Well Known Member
Hello List,

Were about to embark on a DR / high availability project so we experience next to zero 'downtime' should our Production Enterprise server become unavailable. We really only have one outstanding question and it’s with regards to the different vendor data replication offerings. I'm aware of MIMIX, iCluster (developed by Data Mirror, bought by IBM and now owned by Rocket software) and IBM's PowerHA solution. What I’d very much appreciate from anyone who’s been through this software evaluation process is if you could share your finding and why you selected the vendor you did?

Thank-You,

Michael
9.0, 8.98.4.7, OS/400 V6R1M1, OAS

I've had experience Data Mirror, iTera and Mimix over that last 10+ years and in my experience Mimix is hands down the best of the three. I don't have experience with Power HA. Mimix is very easy to manage and make changes to and their support is outstanding and very knowledgable. We recently did a failover test and we failed over to our HA server in less than 10 minutes (times will vary based on horse power of the servers. It only took us two minutes to fail over back to Production because our Prod box is much bigger than our HA box currently). Upgrades to the software couldn't be easier as well. I've done two upgrades over the last few years and they only took about an hour or so to do.

I hadn't worked with Data Mirror since before they were bought by IBM but based on my experience back then I would never want to try it again. I'm sure there have been improvements since my last endevor but that's just my 2 cents on that product. The only downside of iTera at the time I worked on it was that you could not keep the same system name when doing a failover which meant lots of config changes within JDE and other systems.

I've had experience with MIMIX and iTerra...both from an architecture standpoint work the same way. I'm sure MIMIX does this now (I'm mostly doing Linux AIX now, miss the iSeries) but one thing that iTerra had that was really cool was a virtual swap...so you could test without bringing the system down. At the time, MIMIX didn't do that, but it may have changed. As you probably know, both simply use journal receivers to replicate transaction information. Again, it's been a few years since I've used either, so they may have changed...but I don't think you can go wrong with either iTerra or MIMIX....

I was told by a Mimix technician that the virtual role swap will be coming in the next release. Both iTera and Mimix are owned by the same company now (Visions Solutions) so you'll see more features from both start to cross over.

I have seen both Data Mirror and Mimix work well for JDE replication.

cncjunior, jstooge,

Thanks very much for sharing. Your responses are very helpful. It would seem like quite the drawback if iTera won’t let you keep the system name but perhaps that’s in the product now or on the way in a soon to be delivered release.

Back