IBM PTF Issue with 8.98.4.2

craig_welton

craig_welton

Legendary Poster
Just an FYI with something we hit today ...

iSeries V7R1
TR 8.98.4.2

After applying PTFs:
5761JV1-SI50498
5761JV1-SI50504

UBEs would error immediately and BSFNs failed to execute.

The metadata kernel would fail to extract specs and showed this in the log:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>7347/61 WRK:Metadata job 1 Mon Oct 7 08:32:10.848136 ProxyMDSerializer.cpp306

JdeJvm::CheckForExceptions() - Java Exception encountered : java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

7347/61 WRK:Metadata job 1 Mon Oct 7 08:32:10.852824 ProxyMDSerializer.cpp306

JdeJvm::CheckForExceptions() - Stack Trace for Exception : java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:218)

at com.peoplesoft.pt.e1.metadata.serializer.MDSerializerProxy.getBuffer(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.logging.LogManager$RootLogger incompatible with com.jdedwards.base.logging.log4j.JdeLogger

at com.jdedwards.base.logging.log4j.JdeLogger.callHandlers(Unknown Source)

at com.jdedwards.base.logging.log4j.JdeLogger.forcedLog(Unknown Source)

at com.jdedwards.base.logging.log4j.JdeLogger.severe(Unknown Source)

at com.peoplesoft.pt.e1.metadata.serializer.ByteBufferDispenser.<clinit>(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)

at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:196)</pre><hr />

Removed the PTFs and things now work. CNC is working with IBM now.

Craig

Craig,
I ran into the same problem after doing OS/400 V6R1 CUM update and Group PTF updates for all our products this past weekend. After many hours on the phone with Oracle support, they had me put the following in JDE.INI on Enterprise Server (we run everything on the AS/400):

[JDE JVM]
InProcessJVMHome=/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit

to override the JVM JDK level from 5.0 to 6.0. This cleared up the issue right away, but obviously is a workaround. I will post the PTFs you found on my support case. How did you determine what PTFs were in error?

Sorry you had to deal with the same stuff, thanks for sharing the JDE.INI nugget.

After learning that a bunch of PTFs were applied we got a list of all the ones concerning Java and started un-applying them until things started working again. Luckily there able to be removed easily. Note, another foundation running on the same iSeries partition did not experience any issue and it's on 8.98.3. So it appears to be with 8.98.4

Craig

Back