deleting old full packages

AriKukkonen

I have tried hard to get information on this simple question, searching through customer connection and jdelist.com. So please, help.

packages in order from oldest to newest:
1. full package a
2. update packge a1
3. upd a2
4. upd a3
5. full b
6. upd b1
7. full c

so full package c is newest. Can I safely delete packages a, a1, a2, a3?
I need to release hard disk space and I think those packages are not needed for anything anymore. Is this correct?

many thanx in advance!

/Ari

Absolutely! After you know you have a good package, there is no reason to save the old ones. In fact, we long ago changed our procedures to rename the previous folder before starting a build. Example: Rename PD7334FC to PD7334FC.OLD. If the build fails, we simply rename the folder back. We became weary of having to change the base in our update packages every time we built a new package with a different name. If the build is successful, you can delete the .OLD folder. We usually wait a few weeks, just in case there is an issue that crops up that initial testing doesn't reveal.

Once Full C was deployed to the server that became the latest. Make sure everyone has the Full C client then go ahead and delete them. If you are on the iSeries/AS400, delete them through the Package Assembly application. It then deletes everything (build information, ifs entries, libraries, etc.) on the iSeries/AS400.

It verifies before removing the packages, which are the valid packages, and the ones that had been generated really successfully, error-free and applied the Deploy for the Enterprise.
After this validation you can erase the old packages. It would be good for verifying if hanging packages of updates exist to be installed in the Fat machines.

Cristiano_CNC

Back