Crystal Reports Buddy Needed

Julie_McKnight

We are a client running OW Xe (AS400/DB2) and have just purchased the Crystal Reports (8.5 Developer). I would like to find another client out there who is already using Crystal to get access to JDE data who would be willing to share their tips/tricks and maybe even some sample reports that they have created. We use the financials, Service Billing, Procurement and Inventory.

Any help would be appreciated (and of course, anything we learn will be shared too!).

Thanks in advance for any help...

Julie McKnight
Manheim Auctions
[email protected]

you should go to JDETIPS.com there are some web based training courses
available.

I have done it on Business Objects but that is a different tool.
Regs

Julie,

We have been using Crystal Reports (8.0) for several years and are extremely happy with it. However I don't believe we can be as helpful to you as perhaps someone else with a similiar configuration - we are a Manufacturing/Unix/Oracle shop - not Auction/AS400/DB2.

Here are some key questions for you to consider though:

1. Will you use ODA to access the OneWorld data or will Crystal access the database directly?

2. Will you give the "General Public" access to the reports developed or only those who have the Crystal Reports Developer software on their computer?

3. What data should be considered "sensitive" and requires restricted access?

4. Will there be a need to run some reports on a non-interactive, scheduled basis?

Hopefully your answers will be enough to get a dialogue going in which several listers will participate and share their solutions.

Regards,

Sorry for my jumping in, but to my view, it seems that you already use Crystal in JDE quite a lot.
Currently we are trying to find a report that can help us to show an image ( dynamic image ), and we found out that crystal can do that.
The problem is, how to distribute the report to the user ? I cannot found any info which stated that I can do somekind package build to crystal report as I do to JDE report when I distribute the report to the end user.
Could you tell me how to distribute the report build with crystal to the end user ?
TIA for the reply.

Hello Tanu,

"Package Build"? I don't believe OneWorld has a built-in report distribution feature. Package builds and deployments are for code and objects - not generated reports.

So I'm not sure if you're asking about a report definition file that you want distributed to people with Crystal Reports installed on their machines or if you want to know how to distribute a generated report - with data - to end users who may or may not have the full Crystal Reports software.

Since this subject is really off-topic (not JDE specific) I'll reply with specifics on how you can do this via e-mail.

Talk to you soon,

Re[2]: Crystal Reports Buddy Needed

Hi Larry,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yes, the basic question is how to distribute the report to the end
user ?
We have Crystal 8 here, we also have a Create!form but due to the
limitation of Create!form that cannot display an image dynamically
(can be change in every report, depend on the data given), I search
another option and found out that Crystal can do that.
I would be very grateful if you can show me how to distribute the
report to the end user.
Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Best regards,

Sobari Tanuwijaya
[email protected]

---------- Original Message ----------------

Monday, August 12, 2002, 11:31:47 PM, you wrote:

Hello,
In crystal report you will have to use the 'publication' feature, it builds an .exe which you should install on the end user cpu. No matter if he has JDE installed or not (he only should have the ODBC set up [i guess]).
Bye
Fred

Larry,

Thanks for your feedback (and very good questions).

Right now, we have set it up and are testing it with direct access to the data. So far, it seems okay.

Security is not a huge issue here as we will probably be securing the end result of the report on the web.

I guess what would be really useful is to see what reports (particularly financial) others have created and how they created them. If anyone has samples like that we would love to see them as we build our own.

Many thanks,

Julie McKnight
[email protected]
615-781-4496

Back