Accessing an external progress database

mel s

I would like to access an external progress database, but how? Has anybody done this before? I only want to read from the database (no updates or inserts necessary). What is the best way to achieve this?
I have looked at the JDEBASE-API, but it seems that progress is not supported.
Thanx in advance for your help!

To dynamically read from an unsupported database type you can read through one of the supported databases. MS SQL Server offers Linked Servers against ODBC datasources. Oracle offers similar functionality.

I will use MS SQL server as an example:

Create an ODBC connection on the MS SQL server to the Progress database.

Create a linked server against the ODBC connection

Match the columns in the Progress table to data dictionary items in EnterpriseOne. (The names will not match at this point your are identifying data dictionary items that match the format of each colum in your Progress database.)

Create a table definition in EnterpriseOne using the DD columns you have selected. Do not generate this table.

Create a database view within MSSQL server that selects from the Progress database (via the linked server). The view definition must alias the Progress tables columns so that they match the column names in the E1 table you created. The column names will be formed by taking the two character table prefix (from the previous step) and concatenating the DD alias.

If you have located this view within the "Business Data" datasource you should be able to access it immediately. If you choose to locate the view within another schema/database you will need to create an E1 datasource definition and OCM mapping to point to the view.

Take a look at this thread from 2002 discussing this technique against Sybase:

http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Number=31468&page=&view=&sb=&o=

The specifics of the technique depend on your platform. MS SQL and Oracle Windows are fairly straightforward. Oracle Unix or DB/400 are more challenging.

Thank you very much for your help! I will do some research in this direction.
Still, if anybody has already done it with db/400, please don't hesitate to give me a hint
smile.gif

Back