Sales Quotes

ssolberg

VIP Member
I'm hoping someone out there can clarify how Sales Quotes are "supposed" to be done vrs. the way we have it setup, which is "sort of" working. My main problem has to do with the creation of a Sales Order (SO) from the Sales Quote (SQ).

Some background on what we currently do on an SQ: Users enter the parts on the Quote with a line type Q (quote), not S or X for stock/non-stock. Last status is 520, next is 580. The quotes do no checking/commitment of inventory items (nor do we want them to) and essentially immediately show as "shipped" so when a quote is printed, everything is nicely totalled up. SQ's go no farther in the system at this point...

Now if I attempt to do a F21 to Create an SO, it works just fine except for the fact that line types have to be changed to S (or X) and the lines continue to show as "shipped" even if I didn't have enough on hand to fulfil the SO.

I've searched the KG and the documentation and don't find a "proper" setup for SQ's. Should I be using normal line types (like S and X in our case)? If I do that, how can I be sure it doesn't do and commitments of the Quote lines against inventory? I'm guessing my line status are wrong as well, should be back in the 140 range? In a nutshell, the guys want to enter a quote, give it to the customer. Customer comes back in a few days and sales, "go ahead and order them", and our guys call up the quote, do the F21 to create the SO, it checks inventory (like a "normal" sales order entry does) and you are done. Am I making it too simple? I've got a test area so I can play if anyone has words of wisdom to pass on to me.

Most clients setup Quotes using line type S. It doesn't affect commitments
because the version of Sales Order Entry is setup to point to Other Quantity
1 or 2 which is set to not subtract from onhand. Converting to a Sales
Order can be done 3 ways:

1. Copy the order into a Sales Order.
2. Use a version of the Order Release program.
3. Use Blanket/Quote release functionality in Sales Order Entry.

All three of these have different advantages and disadvantages. I have a
couple of documents that detail these processes whichy I could email you if
you'd like.

Andy Klee
www.JDEtips.com

Andy Klee
www.JDETips.com

What I have seen:
Order activity rules
enter quote 510 - 515. Print quote 515 - 999.
Sales quotes are created with the standard line types which are setup in the SQ order activity rules. A separate DW version is used for the SQ entry and the commitment proc opt is set to 1 for commitments to other qty 1 and the order duplication values are set to 520 SO and 2 to copy text from the header and detail. The branch plant constants will need to be reviewed to determine how item availability etc. will handle the other qty 1 commitment amounts.

ssolberg <[email protected]> wrote:I'm hoping someone out there can clarify how Sales Quotes are "supposed" to be done vrs. the way we have it setup, which is "sort of" working. My main problem has to do with the creation of a Sales Order (SO) from the Sales Quote (SQ).Some background on what we currently do on an SQ: Users enter the parts on the Quote with a line type Q (quote), not S or X for stock/non-stock. Last status is 520, next is 580. The quotes do no checking/commitment of inventory items (nor do we want them to) and essentially immediately show as "shipped" so when a quote is printed, everything is nicely totalled up. SQ's go no farther in the system at this point...Now if I attempt to do a F21 to Create an SO, it works just fine except for the fact that line types have to be changed to S (or X) and the lines continue to show as "shipped" even if I didn't have enough on hand to fulfil the SO.I've searched the KG and the documentation and don't find a "proper"!
setup for SQ's. Should I be!
using normal line types (like S and X in our case)? If I do that, how can I be sure it doesn't do and commitments of the Quote lines against inventory? I'm guessing my line status are wrong as well, should be back in the 140 range? In a nutshell, the guys want to enter a quote, give it to the customer. Customer comes back in a few days and sales, "go ahead and order them", and our guys call up the quote, do the F21 to create the SO, it checks inventory (like a "normal" sales order entry does) and you are done. Am I making it too simple? I've got a test area so I can play if anyone has words of wisdom to pass on to me.
Sannan Solberg
Programmer/Developer/Anything-They-Give-Me
World A7.3 c11
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=W&Number=51804
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList World™ mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!

Most clients setup Quotes using line type S. It doesn't affect commitments
because the version of Sales Order Entry is setup to point to Other Quantity
1 or 2 which is set to not subtract from onhand. Converting to a Sales
Order can be done 3 ways:

1. Copy the order into a Sales Order.
2. Use a version of the Order Release program.
3. Use Blanket/Quote release functionality in Sales Order Entry.

All three of these have different advantages and disadvantages. I have a
couple of documents that detail these processes whichy I could email you if
you'd like.

Andy Klee
www.JDEtips.com

Andy Klee
www.JDETips.com
Andy, I know its an ancient post,,,, do you still have these documents you could share, were using A7.3. Thanks

Back