E9.2 Set up of a process to restrict backorders using Sales Orders in JDE

marinescu

Hi,

This is the first time when I have to set up a process of restricting Sales Orders backorders.
From a business perspective, I usually advise against - pros and cons, my opinion.

I knew what you are supposed to set up (1 or 2 older posts from here that I didn't want to resurrect).
Also checked Oracle's document 2873670.1, see below.

Doc ID 2873670.1 from My Oracle Support with the question „Can the system be setup so that only line items that have quantity can be entered, never creating a backorder:

-Uncheck the Backorders Allowed flag in any of the following places: Item Master (P4101), Item Branch/Plant (P41026), Branch/Plant Constants (P41001) or Customer Billing Instructions (P03013).
- Make sure that Availability Checking is checkedin both the Item Master (P4101) and Item Branch/Plant (P41026) programs.
- Finally set Processing Option # 1 on theCommitment tab behind Sales Order Entry (P4210) to '1' which will check availability backorder and cancel line.

If there is not enough quantity for the item or customer or branch/plant where backorders are not allowed the line will automatically be cancelled; unless using a W line type.

Lines with workorders will never go on backorder through Sales Order Entry, but Print Pickslip (R42520) will create a backorder on W line types if hard committing. If this happens the backorder release programs can be used to release these W line type orders from backorder.

Makes sense, is it not?

Well, in my testing I:

- use a stock item that doesn't have any on-hand quantity in the Branch;
- don't touch YET my current Processing Option # 1 on theCommitment tab behind Sales Order Entry (P4210) set to 2 (2 = Activate, notify, but do not backorder or cancel);
- uncheck the Backorders Allowed flag in P41001, leave the other apps untouched (as long as Oracle says "or"), test;
- uncheck the Backorders Allowed flag in P41026, leave the other apps untouched (as long as Oracle says "or"), test;
Side not, I would never uncheck the flag in P4101, as there are common items used by different BUs.
- uncheck the Backorders Allowed flag in P03013, Billing Instructions, leave the other apps untouched (as long as Oracle says "or"), test.

Basically, whatever I do, I don 't get my line cancelled.

The only time when it works as desired (miracle happens, the line is cancelled in the order entry) is when

- NO MATTER if the flag Backorders Allowed is checked or not in P41001, P41026, P03013;
- BUT I change the nProcessing Option # 1 on theCommitment tab behind Sales Order Entry (P4210) to 1 (1 = Activate, notify, and backorder or cancel).

Can you share your experience - were you ever able to confirm that a set up done according to Doc ID 2873670.1 worked for you?

Thank you for your answer,
Remus

Back