Oracle Database Server is Freezing

joy_fernandez

joy_fernandez

Well Known Member
10-17-08 Everyone: Hello, and thanks up front for your time. First, I'm not a DBA, but I'm the System Administrator for our J.D. Edwards ERP system, which is running on a Oracle 9i database. We are in the processing of doing a Server/Hardware and OS upgrade for the Database Servers.

The new DB Servers are running Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Oracle 9.2.08. Our DBAs have created a bat file for me to use when I need to shut down the Oracle databases and reboot the servers. The bat file sets the SID and calls a db_shut.sql file, which does the shutdown immediate -

Ok to the problem - After the server and database has been up for a few days and we've processed about a week's worth of work through the J.D. Edwards application. I take the JDE Services down and logon to the database server and run the bat file, the server freezes, and I mean a hard lock. No Task Manager, nothing. The only way out is to power cycle the server. Nothing in the Oracle Logs, Nothing in the Event Logs. In the CMD window you can see where SQL*Plus starts and makes the connection, then nothing. A total Server Freeze.

Our current productions system is running on Windows Server 2000 with no problems. Any thoughts..................Yes we have an open issue with J.D. Edwards and Oracle, but they are no help. Joy Fernandez, CNC System Administrator

Well it doesn't sound like a JDE problem . . .
I think Oracle should be your primary contact on this . . .

It would be interesting to view the .bat and the db_shut.sql file though to see what they are trying to do.

Back