E9.2 AS400 database and Linux Enterprise Server

patrickyeung1

We are running on JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.2.7.4 with a mix of Windows and AS/400 servers. We plan to move out from AS/400. For business and other reasons, we plan to keep AS400 as the E1 database server, then we will migrate it to other platforms.

Our first step is changing the E1 enterprise servers to run on non-AS/400 platform. Based on my research, the Windows server is the only choice if we want to keep the AS400 database. In that case, when we migrate our database, the E1 database will most likely be MS SQL server.

Is there any way we can use Linux as the enterprise server that can communicate to the E1 database on AS400 or will Oracle support that configuration in the future?

Thanks!

Hi,
we're in a similar situation, but different combination.
Here's a screenshots form the latest Statement of Direction:
1711277654208.png

It says "recommended", but what ORACLE means by that is "supported", "tested" or "certified". So even your combination with a Windows Enterprise Server is probably not supported - BUT the IBMi with Windows combination seems to be the most well known and even tested combination that somehow has to exist because there's so many third party software etc. that will simply not run on IBMi.

Linux Enterprise against DB2 on IBMi MIGHT work, but you'll not get support for that and ORACLE will not give any in the future. They want you to use homogenic OS landscapes.

A curious question from me, personally: If you're not changing the database, why would you move e.g. UBE processing off of the IBMi, if it still has to run anyway? That thing is a beast and UBE performance is VERY good imho.

I had a whole post about the statement of direction and homogenous platforms (and the death of the first C in CNC) but it was lost to my "too many computer screens issue." That said.... I can't say I've ever encountered a Linux Ent server for an iseries install. I can see making the platform change and get the idea (I think), but I'm honestly not sure if this is possible. I suppose as long as there's some form of Linux driver for connecting to DB2, it should be plausible - but if E1 has the facility to utilize it - I don't know. In the case of a platform switch such as this one, I would think you'd want a whole new instance of E1 to installed to test and vet with your new database instead of trying to make something slow happen.

I can't directly weigh in on the enterprise server on Linux question, but it is possible to have a second Windows ent server while having the rest of the stack on the IBMi. While we still were on 9.1, the Windows ent server was used for UBEs that either needed filesystem manipulation or BI Publisher output. When we upgraded to 9.2, we moved off the IBMi onto the all-Microsoft stack (and retained having two ent servers).

Back