E9.2 Menu And UDC Promotion from DV to PD

aniket12323

Hello Dear List Members,

We have a situation where we would like to refresh all UDC's along with Menu from DV to PD environment.

What will be safest steps that we can follow. Can this also be accomplished via backend?

I am aware about below options::
i. For UDCs Copy Table F0004 & F0005 from OMW. Which will DROP,RECREATE table in target(PD).
ii Transferring All Solution Explorer Records
iii.Transferring an All Inclusive Task View

Our goal is to have all UDCs and Menu those are available in DV should be Available in PD.

Thanks,
AP

Hi AP,

Firstly, I have never heard of anyone doing as you propose. That does not mean that it's not possible, but it does mean that the method should be tested thoroughly first, which means gaining an understanding of and testing all the risks, including custom functionality.

A couple of possible risks, if doing the updates from the backend (ie database) may be: next numbers and automatically created IDs. I'm not sure if any UDCs involve next numbers. I've not heard of any, but it may be best to do some investigation to confirm that. The menu system includes automatically created IDs. I'm not sure on which basis they are created, whether it is similar to next numbers or not. However if the menu setup is transferred via the backend and, at a later time, new menus are created in PD or promoted to PD via OMW, there may be a risk of duplicate IDs. I'm not sure what that do in menu system, I've never seen or heard of it.

Such a transfer of the menu system is likely to cause problems with users favourites.

The menu system includes automatically created IDs. I'm not sure on which basis they are created, whether it is similar to next numbers or not. However if the menu setup is transferred via the backend and, at a later time, new menus are created in PD or promoted to PD via OMW, there may be a risk of duplicate IDs. I'm not sure what that do in menu system, I've never seen or heard of it.
A duplicate ID will simply force the OMW transfer to fail. Been there, done that.
@aniket12323 - you will need to make sure that this transfer is your only way to create tasks or relationships in one of the above environments (PY and PD - or are you skipping PY completely?).

On topic: I don't see any obstacles with this being done by SQL. Never heard about anyone going that direction, but if it fits your needs, why not. Usually only see either PY or PD as source of truth and copy down or up from there, but that works like a charm, so why wouldn't DV work as well.
I'd suggest to save your UDC tables (including *D tables if used) and do a compare later after the table move. Your setup WILL differ in one way or the other between DV and PD, so you can move those UDCs back or update the ones affected.
For menu you should bring F9000, F9001, F9002, F9005, F9005D, F9006 and F9006D if i remember correctly.

PS: Backups.

Back