gethostbyname_r errors when starting services on Linux

msouterblight1

VIP Member
We are receiveing gethostbyname_r errors in the logs when starting the services on our new Linux server (we are 8.98.2.0). The issue is the the gethostbyname system command reads from the /etc/sysconfig/network file to get the hostname. By default, this parameter has the fully qualified domain name in it. We could fix this issue by removing the domain info from the parameter, and just leaving the short name, but our Linux admin would rather not do that, as he would like to follow some semblance of standards. Has anyone run into this issue, and gotten around it without removing the domain info from the parameter in the /etc/sysconfig/network file?

Matthew,

Funny you should raise this now. I installed a fat client (for admin and development in 8.11sp1) and got the gethostbyname_r errors when I started it. Our systems guys made the same complaint, they wanted the fully qualified domain name to be used. I needed to get the fat client working quickly and persuaded them to add the domain information to the search list on the machine.

I haven't done the investigation - but I'm guessing that it depends from where the server name is sourced and whether the variable(s) used are large enough to contain the fully qualified name. I suspect not. One data item that is likely to be used in the process is MKEY (machine key) which is only 15 characters in size. One of our fully qualified names is 21 characters long. So it would be truncated or it would not be able to be entered.

Then, if fully qualified names were possible, making the change from short names could be complex and fraught with danger.

That's my AUD 0.02 worth (a bit more now than it was). I'm sorry it's not very encouraging
frown.gif

Hi Matt
try these
- Change /etc/sysconfig/network

- Set “PrimaryNode” parameter in [CLUSTER] section of JDE.INI (workaround)

Back