Chgs to Base JDE Objects

dpbaker

Developers in our comany are beginning to make modificaitons to base JDE objects. There are a number of ESU's constantly coming into the mix. Prior to making modifications to base JDE objects, we had a sytem where once an ESU is applied, it is applied to the DV pathcode(currently we have DV,PY, and PD path codes). From there the Business people will test the objects for the applied ESU to assure they are still working properly. The ESU is then applied to PY where they tested then applied to PD.
With the addition of having base modifications thrown into the mix, I'm searching for the best way for developers to assure there changes are not lost when ESU's are apllied to base objects that have been customized for our companies needs. First question: When the ESU is applied, is the custom code replaced or commented out and placed at the buttom of the section? Question two: Are there any circumstances where the objects that have been applied will not effect the objects in DV when they are applied?.
I have experimented with Visual ER compare and found this tool to be useful in retrofitting code. However, I noticed that the compare only works when trying to retofit from Central Objects location to your local specifications. In other words, with the current path codes we have set up, I can compare only to other path codes(ie PY) to retrofit the developers custom code back to the newly applied ESU that was applied in DV. The problem that I see is that we have not fully implemented J.D. Edwards OneWorld yet. We are only implemeted the financial module and have not yet brought up our first plant. There are a number of Pilot programs going on. The first situation we have faced is that an ESU was appiied and the Business people are testing to assure the object still works properly in DV. In the meantime a custome change is being made to a base JDE object. In the alloted time a new ESU has come in for the same base object. We promoted the base object custom changes to PY so that they could be retrofitted back to DV. The base changes were not completed finished, but now sit in PY. I think this leave the door open for problems. What happens when the Business(company clients) are calling for the 1st applied ESU to be applied to PD. I'm also starting to get concerned with the amount of time developers are going to spending retrofitting code. So far we have only changed a I/A(P4314 and two business functions).Question three: Is there an easier way to safeguard the developers custom changes? Question four: What type of checks and balances need to be in place? Question 5: From your experience, what has been done at other companies to assure custom changes are proplerly retrofitted and ESU's properly applied, then tested and succesfully transitioned through the life cycle?
[shocked]

DP,

check out a related thread called "JDE Development Cycle" in the archives and take a look at AltQuark's white paper on the subject.

Regards,

Back