Performing a DIFF on objects

jpsst34

Well Known Member
Hi List!

I'm a developer with a primarily 4GL background (C, C++, Java, Perl, etc.) I've use MS Visual SourceSafe in the past for version control, source control, etc.

Being new to JDE, I understand that OMW is the center for source control. Yet I don't believe there is any way to perform a diff on two instances of the same object. For instance, I would like to check out an object, but would first like to see a listing of the differences between my local copy and the server's copy before it "overwrites local specifications." Is there any way to do this?

Jack,

There is a new OneWorld Tools to do this, it's call "Visual ER Compare". When you are in OMW, go into the design mode for a application, report or what ever you need to compare and the tools is there.

This tools will allow you to compare your local copy with the server copy before a check-out or before accepting a package. It is also usefull to compare your local copy with the server copy when a new ESU as been applied and you want to know what are the changes the ESU did.

Christian Audet

Jack (not John),

There are several things you can do..... If you want to compare Event Rules,... Visual ER Compare or WinDiff (if you want more info just ask).

If you are comparing other features then it is tougher, you can print out data structures and tables, and business views then save them in the save location (highly recommended to have a save location) then check out the server copy and repeat. Then if you want the local version - do a restore.

If you are unfamiliar with the JDE tools another option is to print the ER to a file ( Both) and do a Windiff.

Regards,

Zakeer

You can use the visual ER compare. Search for Visual ER Compare on the
KG. Ott-02-0022 I believe is a guide to using it.

HiJack (put your hands down people ;) ),

You had good replies from others on your question, however you should be aware of the differences in "Version Control" between OneWorld and SCCMS available for the 3GL languages you mentioned.

If you have a standard JDE setup you have at most:
1) A production version of the code
2) A test/prototype version of the code
3) A development version
4) A local version (on your PC) that you're working with
5) A backup or "save" version if you setup and use the save environment. This is really for saving in-process local changes.

This may sound like a sufficient number but consider that as an object moves through the standard JDE development cycle it erases older versions as it is promoted from development to prototype to production. Net, net you are without any version history or fallback to an older version. There are ways to keep a backup copy of a production object before it is replaced, but you have to go out of your way to do so.

Regards,

Back